VIDEO Sevilla 2-2 Atletico Madrid (3-4 Agg): Highlights; Falcao And Costa Secure Copa Del Rey Final With Real Madrid
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 28, 2013 10:25 AM EST
Atletico Madrid cruised to a Copa del Rey final meeting with rivals Real Madrid after a 2-2 draw with Sevilla at the Ramon Sanchez Pijuan gave them a 4-3 victory on aggregate.
The knowledge that their near neighbors would be awaiting in the final, following their win over Barcelona on Tuesday, appeared to spur Atletico on and within the first 30 minutes they had all-but put the tie beyond doubt.
Diego Costa scored inside 10 minutes and the prolific Radamel Falcao soon added a second that left the home side needing four goals to progress. That never looked like happening, despite Jesus Navas’ strike before half-time and a late consolation from Ivan Rakitic.
Already enduring a disappointing season, Sevilla’s frustrations exploded after the break as Gary Medel was given two quick-fire yellow cards and had to be dragged kicking and screaming off the field and Geoffrey Kondogbia followed suit in injury time.
The tie appeared finely poised with Atletico just holding a slender advantage from the first leg, but Costa quickly turned it strongly in favor of Diego Simeone’s side. The Brazilian showed fine skill and close control on the edge the box to evade the challenges of several defenders before firing low into the corner.
On 29 minutes, Falcao scored for his fourth game in succession to leave Sevilla with a mammoth task. Costa again played a massive part as he burst down the left and supplied a fine low cross that Falcao beat his marker to and fired past Beto in the Sevilla goal.
Sevilla kept trying to find a way back into the contest and reduced their arrears with a fine strike in the 39th minute. After receiving a pull-back from the left, Navas looked up and curled a delightful shot into the far corner to leave Thibaut Courtois with no chance in the Atletico goal.
But any slim hopes of a remarkable fight back were extinguished as Medel was booked twice in a matter of seconds and had to be restrained by teammates before eventually leaving the pitch and landing a kick on a chair on the side of the pitch.
Rakitic struck a precision shot into the bottom of the corner in the first minute of injury time to at least give Sevilla parity on the night, but their evening was ended in ignominious circumstances when Kondogbia landed a stamp on Diego Costa to leave the home side with nine men.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Floyd Rhymes With Avoid,’ Says Manny Pacquiao
- NFL Thanksgiving Games: Chicago Vs. Detroit, Philadelphia Vs. Dallas, And Seattle Vs. San Francisco Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Mayweather Jr. Responds To 2015 Super Fight Talks; American Bashes Pacquiao With Social Media Video Post of Marquez's KO
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Marussia Formula One Team Keeps Its Promise To Injured Driver
- Phil Hughes No More: Australian Batsman Dies at 25
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast
- Walmart Canada Black Friday 2014 Ad For Nov. 28, 2014 Up To Dec. 1, 2014 Includes Savings On The iPad Mini 16GB And The Beats Solo HD Drenched Headphones