VIDEO Sevilla 2-2 Atletico Madrid (3-4 Agg): Highlights; Falcao And Costa Secure Copa Del Rey Final With Real Madrid
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 28, 2013 10:25 AM EST
Atletico Madrid cruised to a Copa del Rey final meeting with rivals Real Madrid after a 2-2 draw with Sevilla at the Ramon Sanchez Pijuan gave them a 4-3 victory on aggregate.
The knowledge that their near neighbors would be awaiting in the final, following their win over Barcelona on Tuesday, appeared to spur Atletico on and within the first 30 minutes they had all-but put the tie beyond doubt.
Diego Costa scored inside 10 minutes and the prolific Radamel Falcao soon added a second that left the home side needing four goals to progress. That never looked like happening, despite Jesus Navas’ strike before half-time and a late consolation from Ivan Rakitic.
Already enduring a disappointing season, Sevilla’s frustrations exploded after the break as Gary Medel was given two quick-fire yellow cards and had to be dragged kicking and screaming off the field and Geoffrey Kondogbia followed suit in injury time.
The tie appeared finely poised with Atletico just holding a slender advantage from the first leg, but Costa quickly turned it strongly in favor of Diego Simeone’s side. The Brazilian showed fine skill and close control on the edge the box to evade the challenges of several defenders before firing low into the corner.
On 29 minutes, Falcao scored for his fourth game in succession to leave Sevilla with a mammoth task. Costa again played a massive part as he burst down the left and supplied a fine low cross that Falcao beat his marker to and fired past Beto in the Sevilla goal.
Sevilla kept trying to find a way back into the contest and reduced their arrears with a fine strike in the 39th minute. After receiving a pull-back from the left, Navas looked up and curled a delightful shot into the far corner to leave Thibaut Courtois with no chance in the Atletico goal.
But any slim hopes of a remarkable fight back were extinguished as Medel was booked twice in a matter of seconds and had to be restrained by teammates before eventually leaving the pitch and landing a kick on a chair on the side of the pitch.
Rakitic struck a precision shot into the bottom of the corner in the first minute of injury time to at least give Sevilla parity on the night, but their evening was ended in ignominious circumstances when Kondogbia landed a stamp on Diego Costa to leave the home side with nine men.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Sugar Ray Leonard Adds Fuel To Pacquiao-Mayweather Clamour
- WWE Update: Bray Wyatt’s Twitter Post Hints Upcoming Fight With Sting [VIDEO]
- Rafael Nadal Gives Li Na Flowers, A Teary Farewell At Beijing China Open
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks