Panel orders Morgan Stanley to pay $1.5 million to two brokers
February 28, 2013 10:14 AM EST
An arbitration panel denied Morgan Stanley Smith Barney's request to claw back compensation from two brokers and, instead, awarded the brokers about $1.5 million.
Morgan Stanley's wealth management unit had asked the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) arbitration panel to make Jorge Antonia Carreras and Carlos Javier Molina repay funds paid to them under a promissory note agreement.
The brokers filed a counterclaim alleging the firm breached contracts related to commissions and bonuses and for negligent misrepresentation.
When the brokers were recruited to Morgan Stanley from Merrill Lynch, a significant part of the pitch was that they would be able to manage assets from their high-net-worth Latin and South American clients on Morgan Stanley's Swiss platform, said the brokers' lawyer Jacob Buchdahl, partner with Susman Godfrey LLP in New York.
The bank later decided to stop its New York brokers from using the Swiss platform, which caused "tremendous problems" for the brokers, Buchdahl said.
The panel concurred with the brokers and said that Morgan Stanley changed the work environment surrounding the Swiss platform and caused the brokers a significant loss in commissions.
The panel awarded Carreras $655,786 in compensatory damages. Molina was awarded $834,637.
The two brokers have since then moved to Barclays
A Morgan Stanley spokeswoman declined to comment.
(Reporting by Jochelle Mendonca; Editing by Anil D'Silva)
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics