VIDEO Chelsea 2-0 Middlesbrough: Highlights; Blues Secure FA Cup Quarterfinal Meeting With Manchester United
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 28, 2013 9:04 AM EST
Chelsea secured a tantalizing FA Cup quarterfinal on Wednesday with Manchester United with a 2-0 victory over Middlesbrough at the Riverside Stadium.
The Cup holders were made to work hard by a Middlesbrough side full of endeavor, but quality goals from Ramires and Victor Moses in the second half proved to be the difference in the tie.
After a relentless schedule, manager Rafael Benitez named a side featuring eight changes for the trip to the Championship club. Although captain John Terry returned in the heart of the defense, the second-string nature of the lineup was encapsulated by first-starts of the campaign for Paulo Ferreira and Yossi Benayoun.
Middlesbrough will perhaps be content to be able to focus on their promotion challenge, but despite a poor recent record of seven defeats in their last nine matches, they acquitted themselves well early on.
Although Chelsea came close to an early breakthrough as Oscar’s shot was well blocked, the home side soon threatened with a header from forward Scott McDonald that just missed the target. Benitez went into the break with plenty to ponder as Middlesbrough winger Mustapha Carayol struck a shot from outside the box that Petr Cech couldn’t hold and Terry had to clear.
The visitors responded and came out for the second half with renewed vigor and took just six minutes to go in front.
Benayoun laid the ball back to Ramires 20 yards out and the Brazilian took a touch before curling a fine effort past Jason Steele with the aid of a slight deflection off of Fernando Torres.
With 17 minutes remaining Chelsea made the result safe. Eden Hazard provided an injection of quality off the bench and it was his fine change of pace that created the opening as he exchanged passes with Oscar on the edge of the box to get behind the back line before unselfishly squaring the ball for Moses to tap home and secure a trip to Old Trafford.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Michael Schumacher Condition: Manager Sabine Kehm Says The 7-Time World Champion Is Making ‘Progress Appropriate To The Severity Of His Situation’
- Dallas Cowboys Owner Jerry Jones Badly Wants Mayweather vs. Pacquiao At Cowboys Stadium
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- ISIS War: US Airstrikes Lead to Growing ISIS Support In Syria; Russia Questions Coalition's Policies