Credit Suisse reduces Sandy side pocket in insurance fund
By Sarah Mortimer | February 28, 2013 4:21 AM EST
Credit Suisse (CS)
CS created a so-called "side-pocket" in November for investors in its CS Iris Low Volatility Plus Fund.
The bank said on Wednesday its dedicated insurance linked securities (ILS) fund was "highly unlikely" to be triggered by Sandy losses based on a recent industry loss estimate.
ILS are capital market vehicles that allow a company to shed a risk.
The most common form of ILS is the catastrophe bond - in which insurers manage their exposure to natural disasters by passing on potential losses to investors.
The most recent loss estimate from U.S. data aggregator Property Claims Service (PCS) - which is used to define whether an insurance event qualifies for a payout under the terms of the deal - put insured losses from Sandy at $18.75 billion.
Even though that estimate is expected to rise, Credit Suisse said the loss trigger of $35 billion "is now highly unlikely to be reached" and "there will be no impact from hurricane Sandy".
Side pocketing is a common practice for hedge funds, and developed during the credit crisis, when buyers for many assets disappeared and investors started demanding their money back.
- For more details on cat bond transactions, see the Thomson Reuters Insurance Linked Securities Community, click on http://financial.thomsonreuters.com/ils.
(Editing by David Cowell)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet