Jhaquiel Reagan, Indianapolis Teen, Walks 10 Miles In Freezing Weather And Snow To Job Interview [VIDEO]
By Carey Vanderborg | February 28, 2013 4:10 AM EST
Jhaquiel Reagan, an Indianapolis teen, set out to walk 10 miles in the freezing cold to a job interview before he was picked up by a complete stranger and given a job, no questions asked.
Reagan, 18, was en route early Friday morning to another part of the city for a 1 pm job interview at an Indianapolis Dairy Queen when he stopped to ask Art Bouvier, the proprietor of Papa Roux, a Cajun restaurant in Indianapolis for directions.
Bouvier told WLFI-TV in Indianapolis that he was laying rock salt outside the establishment after an ice storm before he was approached by a teen who asked him how far it was to 10th and Sherman.
'And I'm thinking we're at 10th and Post. I said, "Buddy that's probably six, seven miles." I said, "You'd be better off on a bus especially in this weather." He just said, "Okay, thank you." And he kept going.'
It wouldn’t be long before the two would cross paths again as Bouvier was driving with his wife to a local coffee shop and spotted Reagan a few miles up from where they had just spoke. Bouvier pulled over and asked him if he need a ride.
Having already walked three miles before he met Bouvier outside Papa Roux, Reagan hopped in the truck and along the way, told the couple that he was on his way to a job interview and didn’t have money for bus fare.
“I’m thinking to myself, here’s a kid walking almost 10 miles in the ice and slush and snow for the hope of a job at minimum wage,” Bouvier told Fox 59.
Bouvier then told Reagan that even if
he was offered the Dairy Queen position, he would double his salary if he came to work at Papa Roux instead. In Indiana, the state’s minimum wage is $7.25 an hour
Reagan happily accepted the generous offer and started his job this past Monday.
“It’s crazy. I don’t even know. It’s really crazy,” Reagan told Fox 59. “My heart’s just racing right now. I’m just too excited, just excited to start.”
The story made news headlines after Bouvier posted the teen’s story on Facebook where it currently has 15,000 “likes” and has been shared nearly 4,000 times.
Reagan told Fox 59 that his mother had passed two years ago and was forced to drop out of high school in order to get a job to support his brothers and sisters.
Now that he has a job at Papa Roux, he is looking forward to getting an apartment closer to his workplace so that he doesn’t have to walk so far.
According to Fox 59, IndyGo, the Indianapolis' public transportation authority, has come forward and given Jhaqueil a year's supply of bus passes.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Air Carrier to Give $5,000 Assistance to Victims’ Families; Bankruptcy Looms as 2 Air Mishaps Would Cost Firm Minimum $80.55 M Compensation
- Foxconn And Pegatron Corp Readies For Apple's iPhone 6 Mass Production This Month
- KFC & McDonald’s Accused of Serving ‘Expired’ Meat to Customers
- Malaysian Airlines Ukraine Tragedy Hits Asian Stock Markets
- California Fruits Recalled in USA and Canada for Possible Listeria Contamination
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People
- NVIDIA Shield Gaming Tablet with Tegra K1 SoC Reported to be Released on July 29
- BlackBerry Passport Video Leak, Release Date, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate [Watch YouTube Clip] --Reports