Jhaquiel Reagan, Indianapolis Teen, Walks 10 Miles In Freezing Weather And Snow To Job Interview [VIDEO]
By Carey Vanderborg | February 28, 2013 4:10 AM EST
Jhaquiel Reagan, an Indianapolis teen, set out to walk 10 miles in the freezing cold to a job interview before he was picked up by a complete stranger and given a job, no questions asked.
Reagan, 18, was en route early Friday morning to another part of the city for a 1 pm job interview at an Indianapolis Dairy Queen when he stopped to ask Art Bouvier, the proprietor of Papa Roux, a Cajun restaurant in Indianapolis for directions.
Bouvier told WLFI-TV in Indianapolis that he was laying rock salt outside the establishment after an ice storm before he was approached by a teen who asked him how far it was to 10th and Sherman.
'And I'm thinking we're at 10th and Post. I said, "Buddy that's probably six, seven miles." I said, "You'd be better off on a bus especially in this weather." He just said, "Okay, thank you." And he kept going.'
It wouldn’t be long before the two would cross paths again as Bouvier was driving with his wife to a local coffee shop and spotted Reagan a few miles up from where they had just spoke. Bouvier pulled over and asked him if he need a ride.
Having already walked three miles before he met Bouvier outside Papa Roux, Reagan hopped in the truck and along the way, told the couple that he was on his way to a job interview and didn’t have money for bus fare.
“I’m thinking to myself, here’s a kid walking almost 10 miles in the ice and slush and snow for the hope of a job at minimum wage,” Bouvier told Fox 59.
Bouvier then told Reagan that even if
he was offered the Dairy Queen position, he would double his salary if he came to work at Papa Roux instead. In Indiana, the state’s minimum wage is $7.25 an hour
Reagan happily accepted the generous offer and started his job this past Monday.
“It’s crazy. I don’t even know. It’s really crazy,” Reagan told Fox 59. “My heart’s just racing right now. I’m just too excited, just excited to start.”
The story made news headlines after Bouvier posted the teen’s story on Facebook where it currently has 15,000 “likes” and has been shared nearly 4,000 times.
Reagan told Fox 59 that his mother had passed two years ago and was forced to drop out of high school in order to get a job to support his brothers and sisters.
Now that he has a job at Papa Roux, he is looking forward to getting an apartment closer to his workplace so that he doesn’t have to walk so far.
According to Fox 59, IndyGo, the Indianapolis' public transportation authority, has come forward and given Jhaqueil a year's supply of bus passes.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- Walmart Canada Black Friday 2014 Ad For Nov. 28, 2014 Up To Dec. 1, 2014 Includes Savings On The iPad Mini 16GB And The Beats Solo HD Drenched Headphones
- BlackBerry Offers $600 To Lure iPhone Owners To Switch To Passport Phone
- #Bendgate Fails To Dent As Apple’s Market Value Reaches $700 Billion
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid