Chelsea Vs. Middlesbrough: Where To Watch Online Stream; Preview, Team News And Prediction
By Jason Le Miere | February 28, 2013 4:03 AM EST
Ahead of Chelsea’s FA Cup fifth round tie with Middlesbrough, Rafael Benitez has again had to diffuse yet more rumors of unrest surrounding the club.
Following Chelsea’s 2-0 defeat to Manchester City at the weekend, media reports suggested that Benitez was involved in an angry confrontation with several members of his squad. The under-fire Spaniard has denied that there was a bust-up.
“It was a normal meeting between players and technical staff which happens after every game,” he said, according to Chelsea’s official website.
“You see it all over the world, you share opinions and have a meeting, especially after a defeat. You have to share your disappointment, it's normal.”
Chelsea have played more games than any other side in Europe this season and Benitez has admitted that it has had a negative impact on the team’s training sessions.
“A lot of minutes that we are together are taken up by playing games and travelling, and that is a problem when you have too many games,” he explained. “In a top side it is normal but it is especially in this case because we have more games than anyone.”
Despite the fixture congestion, Chelsea would surely relish another game in the FA Cup with an enticing quarterfinal meeting with Manchester United at Old Trafford the prize on the line at the Riverside Stadium on Wednesday.
An FA Cup meeting between Chelsea and Middlesbrough inevitably brings back memories of the final between the sides in 1997 when Roberto di Matteo scored the fastest goal in FA Cup final history en route to the Blues’ triumph.
Middlesbrough’s focus right now is doubtless on trying to regain their Premier League status. Chances were looking good of that happening for much of the season, but Tony Mowbray’s side have lost seven of their last nine league games.
The Teesiders will be without Josh McEachran, who is on-loan from Chelsea, while Kieron Dyer and Sammy Ameobi are also ineligible. Mowbray will also be unable to call upon injury victims Lukas Jutkiewicz, Jonathan Woodgate, Stuart Parnaby, Justin Hoyte and Julio Arca.
For Chelsea, defenders Gary Cahill and Cesar Azpilicueta will be missing through illness and injury, respectively.
D: Bikey, Williams, McManus, Friend
M: Miller, Carayol, Leadbitter, Halliday
F: McDonald, Emnes
D: Ivanovic, Luiz, Terry, Bertrand
M: Ramires, Mikel
Moses, Oscar, Marin
Prediction: Given their busy schedule, Benitez is likely to make a few changes to his Chelsea side. But with Middlesbrough sure to be keen to focus on the league, Chelsea should get a fairly comfortable win.
Middlesbrough 1-3 Chelsea
Where to watch: The FA Cup fifth round tie will kick-off from the Riverside Stadium at 2.45 p.m. ET. Coverage will be provided by the Fox Soccer Channel, with a delayed online stream available on Fox Soccer 2Go.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Rocks Semi-Nude Balmain Lattice Dress At Paris Fashion Week [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Rafael Nadal Back In Action To Target Novak Djokovic At China Open
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Grigor Dimitrov Turns To Novak Djokovic For Love Advice; Dimitrov and Sharapova At The 2014 China Open
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate