John Aldridge: Reina and Transfer Window Key To Liverpool’s Success
By Vanessa Keller | February 28, 2013 3:57 AM EST
John Aldridge believes the key to Liverpool having a successful end of the season and entering the next campaign with renewed hope is by keeping hold of Pepe Reina and buying well in the summer.
Liverpool are currently in eighth place after a mixed season that has seen them perform well against the likes of Arsenal and Manchester City but suffer emphatic defeats to the likes of West Brom and Stoke.
With clean sheets a problem all season, Aldridge believes that Pepe Reina needs to recreate his best form in order for the side to start pushing for a top four finish this season.
"Clean sheets are the key between now and May," he said in the Liverpool Echo. "We've not been good at that this season.
"We have looked susceptible and how many times have we shot ourselves in the foot this year?"
He also added that Liverpool need to continue to invest in the summer if they hope to be pushing for the big trophies next season, explaining: "Time is what [Brendan] Rodgers needs to make it work at Anfield although there are a couple of really pivotal transfer windows coming up inside the next 12 months which could have a big bearing on his success.
"But it is not a job that can be completed overnight.
"If you take away that freak result against West Bromwich Albion and the odd blip, then Liverpool have gathered some real momentum over the last couple of months."
For Liverpool, the challenge of reestablishing their position among the Premier League's elite has been particularly onerous, given the limited money Rodgers has had to spend since taking over last summer.
But his purchases of Phillipe Coutinho and Daniel Sturridge in January have so far proven to be inspired, Aldridge argues.
"The signs are there and with Daniel Sturridge available to play in the league and Philippe Coutinho - we hope - growing into a player then we could have a strong finish to the season," he said.
"We have got to really attack these final 11 matches and at Wigan on Saturday night, it may be a case that we have to just grind out the result."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Clears That Fredrik Neij And Peter Sunde Are Not TPB Founders
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Chelsea FC: Jose Mourinho Hits Back At Sergio Ramos For Questioning Costa And Fabregas Absence From NT, Says 'He is Not A Doctor'
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change