John Aldridge: Reina and Transfer Window Key To Liverpool’s Success
By Vanessa Keller | February 28, 2013 3:57 AM EST
John Aldridge believes the key to Liverpool having a successful end of the season and entering the next campaign with renewed hope is by keeping hold of Pepe Reina and buying well in the summer.
Liverpool are currently in eighth place after a mixed season that has seen them perform well against the likes of Arsenal and Manchester City but suffer emphatic defeats to the likes of West Brom and Stoke.
With clean sheets a problem all season, Aldridge believes that Pepe Reina needs to recreate his best form in order for the side to start pushing for a top four finish this season.
"Clean sheets are the key between now and May," he said in the Liverpool Echo. "We've not been good at that this season.
"We have looked susceptible and how many times have we shot ourselves in the foot this year?"
He also added that Liverpool need to continue to invest in the summer if they hope to be pushing for the big trophies next season, explaining: "Time is what [Brendan] Rodgers needs to make it work at Anfield although there are a couple of really pivotal transfer windows coming up inside the next 12 months which could have a big bearing on his success.
"But it is not a job that can be completed overnight.
"If you take away that freak result against West Bromwich Albion and the odd blip, then Liverpool have gathered some real momentum over the last couple of months."
For Liverpool, the challenge of reestablishing their position among the Premier League's elite has been particularly onerous, given the limited money Rodgers has had to spend since taking over last summer.
But his purchases of Phillipe Coutinho and Daniel Sturridge in January have so far proven to be inspired, Aldridge argues.
"The signs are there and with Daniel Sturridge available to play in the league and Philippe Coutinho - we hope - growing into a player then we could have a strong finish to the season," he said.
"We have got to really attack these final 11 matches and at Wigan on Saturday night, it may be a case that we have to just grind out the result."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Serena Williams Swagger Back After US Open - Mark Hodgkinson
- Manny Pacquiao Is The Greatest Fighter That Ever Lived Declares Magician David Blaine
- Evander Holyfield Says That He Didn’t Make Comments About Floyd Mayweather Fighting With Manny Pacquiao
- Guardiola Mockingly States That Man Utd Does Not Have The Means To Acquire Bayern Munich Players
- Novak Djokovic Stars In A New Commercial For Gerble Sans Gluten et Sans Souci
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design