Cyclone Rusty Hits West Coast of Australia [VIDEO]
By Ewan Palmer | February 28, 2013 3:54 AM EST
A powerful tropical cyclone has hit the west coast of Australia, bringing heavy rain, flooding and winds of more than 100mph.
Cyclone Rusty had been intensifying offshore for several days before the Category 3 storm moved inland with winds of up to 102mph at its core.
Rusty made landfall at Pardoo Station, 75 miles (120km) northeast of Port Hedland.
There were no reports of injuries or loss of life. Areas hardest hit by the storm were expected to see 2ft of rain in 24 hours.
It had been feared that Port Hedland, one of the major terminals for iron ore exports, would bare the main force of Rusty and has been closed all week in preparation. The storm started to veer away, however, before making landfall.
Neil Bennett of Australia's Bureau of Meteorology (BoM) said: "It looks as if Hedland has dodged the bullet, so to speak, because the worst of the winds are away.
"Hedland has been experiencing a constant period of gale-force winds for over 36 hours now. And that's unprecedented [for that area]."
As Rusty continues to make its way inland, coastal areas between Pardoo and Whim Creek remained on red alert and residents were advised to remain in shelters. Cyclones are erratic and can change direction without warning.
Residents in neighbouring areas such as Marble Bar have been warned that Rusty is heading towards them. There are fears of flooding in coastal areas of Pilbara.
A spokesman for BoM said: "Rusty is likely to weaken as it passes over land, decreasing below category 3 and gradually reducing intensity to below cyclone intensity overnight Thursday/Friday.
"The speed of the system is likely to lead to larger than usual rainfall accumulation, leading to concerns of major flooding in the De Grey.
"Significant flooding is also possible in the Upper Fortescue catchment."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Where to Watch Delta Aquarids July 28-29 Peak Online, NASA Cameras Spotted Start of Perseid Meteor Shower
- Viral Wedding Photo: Amy Hicks Reveals True Story behind Viral Photo that Created Trending Hashtag on Twitter #westillcoming
- New Zealand-Born IDF Soldier Killed in Gaza Attack Amid Ceasefire Promises
- Volunteer Teen Rapes Orphans during Mission Trip
- Six-Year-Old Canada girl Dies after Hit by Sedan in Crowded Store
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]
- Sony Xperia Z3 Specs Leaked with More Killer Features Ahead of Samsung Galaxy Note 4, iPhone 6