Cyclone Rusty Hits West Coast of Australia [VIDEO]
By Ewan Palmer | February 28, 2013 3:54 AM EST
A powerful tropical cyclone has hit the west coast of Australia, bringing heavy rain, flooding and winds of more than 100mph.
Cyclone Rusty had been intensifying offshore for several days before the Category 3 storm moved inland with winds of up to 102mph at its core.
Rusty made landfall at Pardoo Station, 75 miles (120km) northeast of Port Hedland.
There were no reports of injuries or loss of life. Areas hardest hit by the storm were expected to see 2ft of rain in 24 hours.
It had been feared that Port Hedland, one of the major terminals for iron ore exports, would bare the main force of Rusty and has been closed all week in preparation. The storm started to veer away, however, before making landfall.
Neil Bennett of Australia's Bureau of Meteorology (BoM) said: "It looks as if Hedland has dodged the bullet, so to speak, because the worst of the winds are away.
"Hedland has been experiencing a constant period of gale-force winds for over 36 hours now. And that's unprecedented [for that area]."
As Rusty continues to make its way inland, coastal areas between Pardoo and Whim Creek remained on red alert and residents were advised to remain in shelters. Cyclones are erratic and can change direction without warning.
Residents in neighbouring areas such as Marble Bar have been warned that Rusty is heading towards them. There are fears of flooding in coastal areas of Pilbara.
A spokesman for BoM said: "Rusty is likely to weaken as it passes over land, decreasing below category 3 and gradually reducing intensity to below cyclone intensity overnight Thursday/Friday.
"The speed of the system is likely to lead to larger than usual rainfall accumulation, leading to concerns of major flooding in the De Grey.
"Significant flooding is also possible in the Upper Fortescue catchment."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Another Aviation Disaster: Taiwan Plane Crashes, Passengers Aboard Feared Dead [PHOTO]
- 'Dronies' to Become Latest Trend as Tourism New Zealand Buys Drone to Record Tourists' Videos
- Former Destiny’s Child Star Farrah Franklin Arrested
- MH370 Search Efforts Not Affected by MH17 Recovery; Australia Still Committed to Solving Mystery
- Asylum Seeker Women in Australia-Run Christmas Island Attempt Suicide in Desperation
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown