Cyclone Rusty Hits West Coast of Australia [VIDEO]
By Ewan Palmer | February 28, 2013 3:54 AM EST
A powerful tropical cyclone has hit the west coast of Australia, bringing heavy rain, flooding and winds of more than 100mph.
Cyclone Rusty had been intensifying offshore for several days before the Category 3 storm moved inland with winds of up to 102mph at its core.
Rusty made landfall at Pardoo Station, 75 miles (120km) northeast of Port Hedland.
There were no reports of injuries or loss of life. Areas hardest hit by the storm were expected to see 2ft of rain in 24 hours.
It had been feared that Port Hedland, one of the major terminals for iron ore exports, would bare the main force of Rusty and has been closed all week in preparation. The storm started to veer away, however, before making landfall.
Neil Bennett of Australia's Bureau of Meteorology (BoM) said: "It looks as if Hedland has dodged the bullet, so to speak, because the worst of the winds are away.
"Hedland has been experiencing a constant period of gale-force winds for over 36 hours now. And that's unprecedented [for that area]."
As Rusty continues to make its way inland, coastal areas between Pardoo and Whim Creek remained on red alert and residents were advised to remain in shelters. Cyclones are erratic and can change direction without warning.
Residents in neighbouring areas such as Marble Bar have been warned that Rusty is heading towards them. There are fears of flooding in coastal areas of Pilbara.
A spokesman for BoM said: "Rusty is likely to weaken as it passes over land, decreasing below category 3 and gradually reducing intensity to below cyclone intensity overnight Thursday/Friday.
"The speed of the system is likely to lead to larger than usual rainfall accumulation, leading to concerns of major flooding in the De Grey.
"Significant flooding is also possible in the Upper Fortescue catchment."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- ISIS Video of Slain Syrian Soldiers Raises Doubts; Syrian Gov't Demands Release of Captured Troops
- Family of Accidentally Killed Arizona Shooting Range Instructor Charles Vacca Feels Sorry For 9-Year-Old Uzi Girl
- Major Highlights On 1400 Minor’s Sex Assault
- 7-Year Old Buried Alive By 'Family' Crawls Out From Under The Ground
- Viral Video Pregnancy News: Young Boy Reacts To Mom's 'Exasperating' Pregnancy News, Asks Mom To Buy Him Ear Plugs
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares