Is the McVities Empire Crumbling? Chocolate Digestives Revamp Provokes Backlash
By Toyin Owoseje | February 28, 2013 3:49 AM EST
Biscuit maker McVities has faced a furious backlash from consumers after reportedly changing the recipe of its classic Chocolate Digestives.
Fans accused the company, which has recently undergone a brand revamp, of altering the recipe for their favourite teatime treat.
While, food experts at Which? claimed that the new digestives, which were quietly introduced to supermarkets in December, lacked the usual crunch.
Biscuit lovers across the country have also weighed in on the debate and complained that the snack is no longer as tasty.
"Why have you ruined the chocolate digestives????? They were fine as they were!!" one outraged user wrote on the McVities Facebook page.
Another critic insisted that "if it ain't broke don't fix it".
When 30 Which? taste testers tasted the new bickies, 19 insisted that they preferred the original Digestives recipe.
But the company has denied reports that it had 'tweaked' the recipe, claiming that it had only added more chocolate.
"McVitie's have added 3 percent more chocolate, the biscuit part has not been changed at all," a spokesman wrote on Twitter.
"The British public love our biscuits so we have not reformulated the biscuit itself in any way or changed the "eat" of the product.
"We have just added on more chocolate, hence the "now with more chocolate" statement on the pack to communicate this.
"The feedback we've had is that people like it.'
The McVitie's Chocolate Digestive is the number 1 biscuit brand in the UK. It is worth £82.8m retail sales value.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Has ‘Strict Style Guide,’ Expected To Wear Winter Wardrobes During Pregnancy
- US Police Officers Shoot 12-Year-Old Child ‘By Mistake’
- Bizarre Sex Abuse: Man Licks Woman’s Foot in Canada, Runs Away With Her Shoe
- Woman Charged For Leaving Her Baby in Drain in Australia Needs 'Compassion' Says Social Worker
- New Zealand Pre-schooler Suffers Attack For Wearing A Jewish Cap; Anti-Semitic Act Condemned
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James