Is the McVities Empire Crumbling? Chocolate Digestives Revamp Provokes Backlash
By Toyin Owoseje | February 28, 2013 3:49 AM EST
Biscuit maker McVities has faced a furious backlash from consumers after reportedly changing the recipe of its classic Chocolate Digestives.
Fans accused the company, which has recently undergone a brand revamp, of altering the recipe for their favourite teatime treat.
While, food experts at Which? claimed that the new digestives, which were quietly introduced to supermarkets in December, lacked the usual crunch.
Biscuit lovers across the country have also weighed in on the debate and complained that the snack is no longer as tasty.
"Why have you ruined the chocolate digestives????? They were fine as they were!!" one outraged user wrote on the McVities Facebook page.
Another critic insisted that "if it ain't broke don't fix it".
When 30 Which? taste testers tasted the new bickies, 19 insisted that they preferred the original Digestives recipe.
But the company has denied reports that it had 'tweaked' the recipe, claiming that it had only added more chocolate.
"McVitie's have added 3 percent more chocolate, the biscuit part has not been changed at all," a spokesman wrote on Twitter.
"The British public love our biscuits so we have not reformulated the biscuit itself in any way or changed the "eat" of the product.
"We have just added on more chocolate, hence the "now with more chocolate" statement on the pack to communicate this.
"The feedback we've had is that people like it.'
The McVitie's Chocolate Digestive is the number 1 biscuit brand in the UK. It is worth £82.8m retail sales value.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Report: Duchess Expecting a Baby Girl, Prince William Wants 3 Kids [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Where to Watch Delta Aquarids July 28-29 Peak Online, NASA Cameras Spotted Start of Perseid Meteor Shower
- UFO Sightings: Mysterious Bright Lights Spotted Flashing over Toronto, Witnesses Share UFO Sighting Experience on Social Media [VIDEO]
- Viral Wedding Photo: Amy Hicks Reveals True Story behind Viral Photo that Created Trending Hashtag on Twitter #westillcoming
- Six-Year-Old Canada girl Dies after Hit by Sedan in Crowded Store
- New Zealand-Born IDF Soldier Killed in Gaza Attack Amid Ceasefire Promises
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- Travel at Own Risk; Emirates, Qantas Differ on Flying over Iraq Warzone; Emirates Reroutes, Qantas Pushes On