Lets Get it On: Zoo Bosses Play Smooth Radio to Giant Panda Yang Guang to Get Him in the Mood
By Toyin Owoseje | February 28, 2013 1:25 AM EST
Giant panda Yang Guang is being encouraged to mate by listening to the sensual sounds of Smooth Radio.
Edinburgh Zoo bosses are hoping that by switching the bear's radio from Classic FM to Simon Bates and David "Kid" Jensen, they will be able to get him in the mood to make love to female panda Tian Tian.
"We play easy listening radio to Yang Guang in his off-show area," a spokeswoman for Edinburgh Zoo confirmed.
"He has always been more sensitive than Tian Tian to background noise, so it's settling and soothing for him to have it playing softly in the background.
"You can often see him sit back, relax and eat his bamboo whilst the radio is on."
Experts at the zoo say that the two pandas, who have been on loan from China since 2011, are ready to breed.
The pair's warm-up routine as the panda mating season approaches includes physical exercises, special lighting and extra rations of bamboo. Tian Tian has begun producing high-pitched chirps that indicate her hormones are changing. .
Keepers are now doing their best to encourage the would-be father to mate with Tian Tian because female pandas ovulate only once a year and are then only fertile for 48 hours afterwards.
And it seems that Smooth Radio is playing its part too.
The station has been playing a daily song for Yang Guang, including hits like Marvin Gaye's Let's Get It On and I Wanna Lay With You by The Sherbs.
A spokeswoman at Smooth Radio described the situation as "very amusing".
If Yang Guang and Tian Tian mate successfully this year, their cubs would be the first panda offspring born in the UK.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Melanoma Could Be Caused By Ageing Genes; Best Diet For Anti-Ageing; Celebrities Who Have Aged Gracefully
Join the Conversation
- Hoax Alert: 'Ebola Vaccine Only Works on White Skin' Viral Story Not True
- Kate Middleton And Prince William Have Chosen The Name Of Their Second Child- Details
- Gunman Killed In Brisbane Shoot-out On Live TV
- Melbourne Wakes Up To Anti-Terror Raids: Seabrook Man Arrested For Funding Terrorist Organisation
- Explosion in Canada Damages Building, Five Injured
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Boxing News 2014: Social Media War Between Boxers Continues As Pacquiao Repeats Comment That Mayweather Acts Like Uneducated Person, While Ignoring ‘Miss Pac Man’ Post
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate