Arsenal Planning Fourth Statue Tribute
By Nick Howson | February 28, 2013 12:47 AM EST
Dennis Bergkamp will become the latest Arsenal legend to have a statue of himself unveiled outside the Emirates Stadium.
The Dutchman, who scored 87 goals across 11 years in north London, becomes the fourth recipient of the honour, after statues of Thierry Henry, Tony Adams and Herbert Chapman were erected to mark the club's 150th anniversary in December 2011.
Pictures of the Bergkamp statue, which depict him flying through the air against Newcastle United in 2003, were posted on Twitter on Tuesday evening with the tribute set to be confirmed before the start of the 2013/14 season.
"We're pleased that speculation surrounding a future possible statue at Emirates Stadium is generating interest and will obviously communicate details if and when there is confirmation of any new developments," said an Arsenal spokesman.
Bergkamp was voted 2nd in a list of fifty of Arsenal's greatest ever players behind Henry and was part of the 'Invincibles' team that went the 2033/04 season unbeaten on their way to the Premier League title.
He claimed three league titles and four FA Cups and won the PFA Players' Player of the Year award in 1997 during 11 years at Arsenal.
During Bergkamp's last season with The Gunners, as part of final salutes to Highbury before their move to the Emirates Stadium, the club organised a day to pay homage to the forward which included home fans wearing Orange t-shirts.
Currently the assistant manager at Ajax, Bergkamp has been heavily linked with succeeding Liam Brady as head of Arsenal's youth development.
While the 43 year old is firmly settled in the Dutch capital, he conceded in 2011 that a return to England in some form would be tempting.
"The plan is to be settled here now I've built my house," he said.
"But there is something that stays with me, something in my body that wants to go back to England one day as part of a coaching staff. That is always in my mind.
"I don't miss specific things but I miss the feeling, which I can't really explain. I haven't sold my house there yet."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- Miami Heat Prepare For Life Without LeBron James, To Feature More Of Wade And Bosh In New System
- Iggy Azalea Sex Tape: The Story So Far
- Manny Pacquiao Is The Greatest Fighter That Ever Lived Declares Magician David Blaine
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone