Arsenal Planning Fourth Statue Tribute
By Nick Howson | February 28, 2013 12:47 AM EST
Dennis Bergkamp will become the latest Arsenal legend to have a statue of himself unveiled outside the Emirates Stadium.
The Dutchman, who scored 87 goals across 11 years in north London, becomes the fourth recipient of the honour, after statues of Thierry Henry, Tony Adams and Herbert Chapman were erected to mark the club's 150th anniversary in December 2011.
Pictures of the Bergkamp statue, which depict him flying through the air against Newcastle United in 2003, were posted on Twitter on Tuesday evening with the tribute set to be confirmed before the start of the 2013/14 season.
"We're pleased that speculation surrounding a future possible statue at Emirates Stadium is generating interest and will obviously communicate details if and when there is confirmation of any new developments," said an Arsenal spokesman.
Bergkamp was voted 2nd in a list of fifty of Arsenal's greatest ever players behind Henry and was part of the 'Invincibles' team that went the 2033/04 season unbeaten on their way to the Premier League title.
He claimed three league titles and four FA Cups and won the PFA Players' Player of the Year award in 1997 during 11 years at Arsenal.
During Bergkamp's last season with The Gunners, as part of final salutes to Highbury before their move to the Emirates Stadium, the club organised a day to pay homage to the forward which included home fans wearing Orange t-shirts.
Currently the assistant manager at Ajax, Bergkamp has been heavily linked with succeeding Liam Brady as head of Arsenal's youth development.
While the 43 year old is firmly settled in the Dutch capital, he conceded in 2011 that a return to England in some form would be tempting.
"The plan is to be settled here now I've built my house," he said.
"But there is something that stays with me, something in my body that wants to go back to England one day as part of a coaching staff. That is always in my mind.
"I don't miss specific things but I miss the feeling, which I can't really explain. I haven't sold my house there yet."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Roger Federer Not That Good If Different Surfaces Were To Exist – Giles Simon
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Dan Bilzerian Opens Up to Howard Stern, Poker Pro Admits He Once Had Sex with 16 Women in 12 Days
- Selena Gomez Allegedly Back in Rehab, Hugs Nat Wolff the Night Justin Bieber & Orlando Bloom Made Headlines in Ibiza
- Girls Star Allison Williams to Play Titular Role in NBC's Peter Pan Live
- Kendall Jenner Forbids Sister Kim Kardashian from Attending her Fashion Shows, Considers her Presence a Hindrance - Reports
- Kendall Jenner Ignores Kim Kardashian Big Time, Tries to Befriend Beyonce - Reports
- Apple Mac Remains Strong Despite Challenging PC Market, iPhone Remains a Winner Through Q3 Price Points