Bobby Brown Jailed for Drink-Driving Offence
By Toyin Owoseje | February 27, 2013 10:51 PM EST
Bobby Brown, the ex-husband of Whitney Houston, is preparing to spend time behind bars following his arrest for drink-driving.
The R'n'B star was sentenced to 55 days after pleading no contest to driving under the influence and driving on a suspended licence. He was on probation for an earlier conviction at the time of his arrest.
In addition to his prison time, the 45-year-old Don't Be Cruel singer has also been ordered to undertake an 18-month alcohol treatment programme, put on probation for four years and fined $500.
He was given an additional 36 months' probation on the second charge and ordered to pay a $300 fine. An ignition locking device - an in-car Breathalyser that stops a car being driven if it detects the driver is over the limit - will also be installed.
Brown was arrested in October by officers in Los Angeles after he was spotted driving erratically.
"Bobby's family are at their wits' end following his latest arrest and are scared that the authorities will throw him in jail," a friend told TMZ at the time. The singer had a string of offences to his name.
"His family believes that if a judge orders him to complete a 120-day rehabilitation programme along with counselling and asks him to regularly attend AA meetings he might finally be able to beat his addiction problems."
In 1996, while still married to Houston, he was convicted of driving under the influence in Georgia. He pleaded guilty and served eight days in jail.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Star Wars Episode VII: Jedi Master's Search, Luke's Lightsaber From the Sky
- Avengers 2: Ultron's First Attack On The Avengers, More Details on the Avengers Tower Party
- Avengers 2: Capt.America Dances With Peggy Carter, First Love Returns
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Break-Up Furor Ceased: West Gets Turned on by Kim, Puts Rest to Marriage Trouble Reports
- Selena Gomez & Andre Hamann Update: Andre Calls Selena Stunning, Admits Crush on Singer
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales