Bobby Brown Jailed for Drink-Driving Offence
By Toyin Owoseje | February 27, 2013 10:51 PM EST
Bobby Brown, the ex-husband of Whitney Houston, is preparing to spend time behind bars following his arrest for drink-driving.
The R'n'B star was sentenced to 55 days after pleading no contest to driving under the influence and driving on a suspended licence. He was on probation for an earlier conviction at the time of his arrest.
In addition to his prison time, the 45-year-old Don't Be Cruel singer has also been ordered to undertake an 18-month alcohol treatment programme, put on probation for four years and fined $500.
He was given an additional 36 months' probation on the second charge and ordered to pay a $300 fine. An ignition locking device - an in-car Breathalyser that stops a car being driven if it detects the driver is over the limit - will also be installed.
Brown was arrested in October by officers in Los Angeles after he was spotted driving erratically.
"Bobby's family are at their wits' end following his latest arrest and are scared that the authorities will throw him in jail," a friend told TMZ at the time. The singer had a string of offences to his name.
"His family believes that if a judge orders him to complete a 120-day rehabilitation programme along with counselling and asks him to regularly attend AA meetings he might finally be able to beat his addiction problems."
In 1996, while still married to Houston, he was convicted of driving under the influence in Georgia. He pleaded guilty and served eight days in jail.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 9/11 Dust Cloud Most Likely Have Created Pregnancy Issues: Celebrities Who Posed Nude During Pregnancy
Join the Conversation
- ‘Star Wars: Episode VII’: Han Solo's Super Star Destroyer, Costumes And Weapons
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’: Top 5 Revelations Of Season 8
- 'NCIS' Season 12 Spoilers: Ziva David Out, Tony's New Love Could be Stephanie Jacobsen's Leia; Troian Bellisario Teases 'Reunion' Photo
- 'X-Men: Apocalypse' : Wolverine's Costume's Leaked Image Hints to Traditional Look, Hugh Jackman to Play the Character Till Scripts Excite Him
- ‘Star Wars: Episode VII’: Tatooine Set Leaked, Reveals Tusken Raiders Huts
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015