Switzerland: Kronospan Canteen Gunman 'Kills Several Factory Workers'
By Hannah Osborne | February 27, 2013 10:34 PM EST
Several people have been killed and more were injured in a shooting at a factory in Switzerland.
The shooting took place just after 9am local time at the premises of Kronospan, a company based in the town of Menznau.
Police for the canton of Lucerne confirmed there were several fatalities and injuries but have yet to provide further details.
A reporter at the scene claimed that police had confirmed three deaths, including the assailant, according to Swiss news website 20min.ch.
The website added that seven people had been injured, some of them seriously.
But police in Lucerne, the local administrative centre, said they had no casualty figures.
The identity of the shooter is also not known.
According to the local town council, Kronospan has some 450 employees.
Emergency services were at the scene and a hotline was set up for families of the factory staff.
Switzerland has one of the highest rates of gun ownership in the world but relatively little gun crime.
Swiss newspaper Luzerner Zeitung reported an eyewitness saying that the gunman had suddenly opened fire in the canteen of the wood processing factory. Some witnesses claimed that five people had been killed.
SDA, the Swiss news agency, said that four injured people were flown to hospital.
Menznau is in the centre of Switzerland, around 30 miles southwest of Zurich.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Robots May Be Used to Fight Ebola in West Africa; Australian PM Admits US, UK Asked For Medical Teams
- Decades-Long Mystery of Oklahoma Lake Solved, Missing Six Bodies Identified
- Gay Community In Liberia Persecuted For Ebola; Church Leaders Call Virus 'Punishment' For Homosexuality
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS