Switzerland: Kronospan Canteen Gunman 'Kills Several Factory Workers'
By Hannah Osborne | February 27, 2013 10:34 PM EST
Several people have been killed and more were injured in a shooting at a factory in Switzerland.
The shooting took place just after 9am local time at the premises of Kronospan, a company based in the town of Menznau.
Police for the canton of Lucerne confirmed there were several fatalities and injuries but have yet to provide further details.
A reporter at the scene claimed that police had confirmed three deaths, including the assailant, according to Swiss news website 20min.ch.
The website added that seven people had been injured, some of them seriously.
But police in Lucerne, the local administrative centre, said they had no casualty figures.
The identity of the shooter is also not known.
According to the local town council, Kronospan has some 450 employees.
Emergency services were at the scene and a hotline was set up for families of the factory staff.
Switzerland has one of the highest rates of gun ownership in the world but relatively little gun crime.
Swiss newspaper Luzerner Zeitung reported an eyewitness saying that the gunman had suddenly opened fire in the canteen of the wood processing factory. Some witnesses claimed that five people had been killed.
SDA, the Swiss news agency, said that four injured people were flown to hospital.
Menznau is in the centre of Switzerland, around 30 miles southwest of Zurich.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Has ‘Strict Style Guide,’ Expected To Wear Winter Wardrobes During Pregnancy
- Bizarre Sex Abuse: Man Licks Woman’s Foot in Canada, Runs Away With Her Shoe
- New Zealand Pre-schooler Suffers Attack For Wearing A Jewish Cap; Anti-Semitic Act Condemned
- Australia's Direct Action Policy To Increase Projected Emmisions By 2020 -- UN Report
- Canadian Soldier Dies in 'Freak Accident' at Work
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners