Manchester United Target Summer Move for Next Cristiano Ronaldo - Report
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 27, 2013 9:01 PM EST
The Colombian has been in impressive form for the Portuguese club, scoring eight goals and managing one assist in 20 appearances in all competitions this season.
The report claims United sent their scouts to watch the 21-year-old in action during Porto's game against Rio Ave last weekend. Rodriguez, who is widely heralded as the new Cristiano Ronaldo, has been monitored by Sir Alex Ferguson and his scouts throughout this season.
The former Banfield star has been strongly linked with a move to Old Trafford in recent times as the Metro earlier reported United are looking to sell Luis Nani to raise funds to sign Rodriguez in the summer.
The Portuguese will have a year left on his current deal in the summer and the Sun claims Ferguson will offer £90,000 a week to keep him at the club. However, it is unlikely that Nani could agree to such a deal as the winger is looking for a weekly wage of £130,000 to continue his services at Old Trafford.
Should the former Sporting player fail to sign a contract extension before this summer, United will be looking to sell the Portuguese international at the end of the season, rather than letting him leave for free a year later.
The Premier League leaders have already found a replacement with the signing of Wilfried Zaha from Crystal Palace, who will join the club next season.
Fabio: I Wanted to Celebrate Rafael's Goal
Meanwhile United full-back Fabio claimed he wanted to celebrate his twin brother Rafael's stunning goal against at QPR - even though he is currently on loan at the West London club.
"I was pleased to see my brother score a goal like that. Naturally I wanted to celebrate, but I was sitting next to the QPR president!" Fabio admitted.
Despite his divided loyalties last Saturday, Fabio believes his loan spell with the west London club has helped him to develop as a player, while his brother has thrived at United.
"I've grown a lot this season. We've both matured, [Rafael is] is flying and I'm playing more. The change has been good for us," he said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet