UK economy shrank 0.3 percent in late 2012, grew on year
February 27, 2013 8:42 PM EST
Britain's economy contracted by 0.3 percent in the final quarter of 2012 as originally estimated, but yearly growth was revised up, data showed on Wednesday.
The figures highlight the danger of a third recession since the 2008 financial crisis, less than a month before Chancellor George Osborne lays out his budget plans for the coming year.
Last week, rating agency Moody's downgraded Britain's triple-A credit rating, citing weak growth which was pushing further back the government's fiscal targets.
Gross domestic product fell by 0.3 percent between October and December compared with the previous three-month period, in line with the Office for National Statistics' initial estimate and economists' forecasts.
However, compared with a year ago, the economy was 0.3 percent bigger, better than the original estimate of flat output, the ONS said.
Consumer spending ticked up 0.2 percent on the quarter, while exports fell 1.5 percent and imports dropped 1.2 percent.
Output in Britain's service sector - which makes up more than three quarters of GDP - dipped 0.1 percent in the fourth quarter after growing 1.2 percent in the third quarter.
Industrial output was 1.9 percent lower, the steepest fall since the first quarter of 2009. Construction - which accounts for less than 7 percent of GDP - expanded by 0.9 percent, the fastest rate of growth since the second quarter of 2011.
Economists polled by Reuters expect the economy to eke out quarterly growth of 0.2 percent in the first three months of 2013, narrowly avoiding a renewed recession.
January surveys of purchasing managers showed growth in the service sector, a tick-up in manufacturing and a fall in construction output, also pointing to modest economic growth.
Early survey evidence of how the economy fared in February has been mixed, with factory order books improving but retail sales rising at the slowest annual pace since September.
(Reporting by Olesya Dmitracova and Li-mei Hoang)
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28