UK economy shrank 0.3 percent in late 2012, grew on year
February 27, 2013 8:42 PM EST
Britain's economy contracted by 0.3 percent in the final quarter of 2012 as originally estimated, but yearly growth was revised up, data showed on Wednesday.
The figures highlight the danger of a third recession since the 2008 financial crisis, less than a month before Chancellor George Osborne lays out his budget plans for the coming year.
Last week, rating agency Moody's downgraded Britain's triple-A credit rating, citing weak growth which was pushing further back the government's fiscal targets.
Gross domestic product fell by 0.3 percent between October and December compared with the previous three-month period, in line with the Office for National Statistics' initial estimate and economists' forecasts.
However, compared with a year ago, the economy was 0.3 percent bigger, better than the original estimate of flat output, the ONS said.
Consumer spending ticked up 0.2 percent on the quarter, while exports fell 1.5 percent and imports dropped 1.2 percent.
Output in Britain's service sector - which makes up more than three quarters of GDP - dipped 0.1 percent in the fourth quarter after growing 1.2 percent in the third quarter.
Industrial output was 1.9 percent lower, the steepest fall since the first quarter of 2009. Construction - which accounts for less than 7 percent of GDP - expanded by 0.9 percent, the fastest rate of growth since the second quarter of 2011.
Economists polled by Reuters expect the economy to eke out quarterly growth of 0.2 percent in the first three months of 2013, narrowly avoiding a renewed recession.
January surveys of purchasing managers showed growth in the service sector, a tick-up in manufacturing and a fall in construction output, also pointing to modest economic growth.
Early survey evidence of how the economy fared in February has been mixed, with factory order books improving but retail sales rising at the slowest annual pace since September.
(Reporting by Olesya Dmitracova and Li-mei Hoang)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers