Usian Bolt to Receive $300,000 for 200-Metre Race at Paris Meet
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 27, 2013 7:00 PM EST
Jamaican sprinter and holder of six Olympic gold medals, Usain Bolt, who is set to run in the 200-metre race at the upcoming Diamond League in Paris will be paid a whopping $300,000 for taking part in the meet.
The organizers of the meet confirmed that Bolt will be paid the amount for his participation stating that the fee is standard for a runner of Bolt's calibre.
The 26-year-old runner has confirmed his presence in the Paris meet which will be held on 6 July.
"Usain Bolt will compete in the 2013 edition of the Meeting AREVA, the ninth leg of this year's Samsung Diamond League, in Paris on Saturday 6 July," reported IAAF.
"The Jamaican has confirmed his presence on the Stade de France track, venue of the 2003 IAAF World Championships. He will be taking part in the 200m, the final race of the evening," it added.
Bolt was said to be taking part in the meet as a warm-up for the world championships which will take place in Moscow during August.
The organizers of the meet have also announced that French athletics sprinter Christophe Lemaitre and pole vaulter Renaud Lavillenie will also be taking part in the event.
Lemaitre, the current European 100m champion, will compete against Bolt in the meet.
Earlier, in the 2011 world championships in Daegu, South Korea, Lemaitre faced Bolt in the 200-metre race which the Jamaican sprinter won and Lemaitre finished at third.
"With Bolt, we know that we will easily fill the Stade de France," the head of the Paris Diamond League meeting, Laurent Boquillet told IANS on Tuesday.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Striker Disappointed with Cesc Fabregas Sale to Chelsea
- 5 Sports Stars Who are Also Into Other Sports
- Manchester United Transfer News: Wilfried Zaha Might Stay After Impressing Van Gaal Against Inter [VIDEO]
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools