MWC 2013: Sony Unveils ‘World’s Thinnest’ Android Waterproof Xperia Tablet Z
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 27, 2013 6:33 PM EST
The tablet, which made its official debut at the Comsumer Electronics Show in January, will hit stores in the second quarter of 2013. The 10.1-inch Xperia Z, measuring 6.9mm in thickness and weighing 495 grams, is the slimmest and lightest tablet so far in the market.
"Xperia Tablet Z sets new standards in entertainment by matching premium specifications and Sony technology with cross-device connectivity and a consistent user-experience," said Kaz Tajima, Corporate Vice President, Head of UX Creative Design and Planning, at Sony Mobile Communications.
"Xperia Tablet Z reinforces our intention to be a leading player in the premium Android device market, by building on the principles established by Xperia Z and perfectly optimising them for the tablet form factor."
The Xperia Tablet Z's screen has a resolution of 1920 x 1200 pixels that's backed by Qualcomm's Snapdragon S4 Pro asynchronous quad-core processor. According to reports, Xperia Tablet Z is the first to house this processor. The tablet runs on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean operating system, packs 2GB of RAM and will come in 16GB and 32GB models.
The tablet sports an 8-megapixel rear camera which is equipped with Exmor R feature for mobile and a 2-megapixel HD front-facing camera. The tablet will be available in black and white models and will have LTE and WIFI versions. The most notable feature of the Sony Xperia Z tablet is its One-touch function which enables users to share songs, photos and videos to other NFC-enabled devices with ease and at fast speeds. Another feature is its Universal IR Remote that can control TV and other devices directly from the tablet.
The tablet a packs 6,000mAH battery and is a dust proof and water resistant. The 16GB version of the tablet will be priced at $500 while the 32GB version will be available for $600.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- California Fruits Recalled in USA and Canada for Possible Listeria Contamination
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Air Carrier Losing $1.6 Million/Day; Crisis Management Experts Suggest Hiring Risk Expert as CEO
- The IBM and Apple Merger: Will it Spell Trouble to Rival Companies
- CBA, NAB, Westpac in Fixed Rate War Offering Below 5% Interest
- Radio Australia Cuts to Affect Isolated Vanuatu Residents Who Rely on It for Weather Bulletins
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales