Two Held After Alberta Courthouse Shooting Leaves Sheriff Wounded
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 27, 2013 5:43 PM EST
Two prisoners were back in custody after a shootout in a courthouse in Whitecourt, Alta., left a sheriff injured in the hand. The incident occurred early Tuesday when a prisoner tried to escape from the courthouse.
The suspect managed to escape from the courthouse with a second prisoner in a sheriff's van, but both were arrested Tuesday afternoon, according to CBC.
Citing a local radio reporter who described the scene that started at around 11:30 a.m. inside the Whitecourt Law Courts, CTV News has reported that people heard a commotion inside closed doors, where prisoners are escorted into court.
"The sheriff who was in the courtroom at the time immediately swung up, and ran to the back," Lynden McBeth, the radio reporter present at the scene said, adding: "Within seconds we heard 'Bang bang' and then the courthouse was evacuated immediately. People, then, were running for their lives."
Apparently, during the commotion, two prisoners, including the one who shot at the sheriff, made their way to a sheriff van and escaped and headed to Highway 32 near a farmhouse, just a little away from the town of Whitecourt.
After a long standoff in the farmhouse, the two prisoners were arrested after many shots were fired by police. The Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) from many detachments reportedly helped in the arrests.
Earlier, Whitecourt detachment commander Sgt. Rodney Koscielny said police had searched adjacent properties to ensure no other prisoners were at large.
"This is over the top", he said, pointing out: "We're here to protect the public and something like that affects us all, including the public. So yes, it is very serious."
Whitecourt is located 180 kilometers northwest of Edmonton.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Brisbane Woman Performs Sex With Dog, Gets Charged With Bestiality
- Top 5 Halloween 2014 Costume Ideas For Teen Boys
- ISIS Parades 30 Sunni Tribesmen Before Shooting Them Dead In Iraqi Town
- Video Showing Woman Getting Sexually Harassed on New York Streets Goes Viral
- Early Heat Wave Breaks Records In Australia; Lighting Storms Spark Bushfires In Queensland [VIDEO]
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family