Sony’s Xperia Z Smartphone Marks Strong Sales; First Lot Sold Out in Two Hours: report
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 27, 2013 5:29 PM EST
Sony Corp's high-end Xperia Z smartphone, which was recently unveiled at the ongoing Consumer Electronics Show, is reportedly off to a good start after its launch in home country Japan and several parts of Europe.
According to Reuters, Sony's Sony Mobile's Calum MacDougall, head of Xperia marketing said "We have seen really good pre-orders. We had the first stocks available in Germany in Berlin at the Sony store and sold those out in two hours."
"In France, we sold more in one day in our online store than we sold in 12 weeks in mobile devices."
The Android smartphone is currently available in 60 countries. As the initial sales of the handset raised the company's stand in the technology market, the competition from rival companies Apple and Samsung cannot be ignored.
According to Gartner, Sony's market share in the last quarter was up at 1.7 percent, while Apple and Samsung's mobile phone share stood at 9.2 percent and 22.7 percent, respectively. Sony's new phone is price at 649 euros.
"It (the Xperia smartphone) sold over 150,000 units in its first week in Japan, taking a 24 percent market share straight away." said McDougall. "It may be a bit too early to say but the first signs a very positive."
When asked about the possibility of launching a Windows-based smartphone, McDougall said," The products we will bring to the market in the first half of this year are Android products. Of course we are always looking at different operating systems."
Sony seemed to have started on a good note with its Xperia Z smartphone. Stepping up the competition in the tablet segment, the company also announced the launch of its 10.1-inch Xperia Tablet Z Android tablet at the electronics convention.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
- Miranda Kerr Broke Her Silence: Not Pregnant With James Packard’s Baby [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch
- Apple Inc. Stock Surge Observed as Hedge Funds 'Feasted' Ahead of iPhone 6 Launch
- Vodafone Buys Ericsson Equipment to Replace 5-Year-Old Network Technologies
- Small Businesses Claim Positive Financial Situation but Negative on Outlook
- Perfume Maker Elizabeth Arden Blames Poor Q4 Financial Results on Justin Bieber Scent
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists