Sony’s Xperia Z Smartphone Marks Strong Sales; First Lot Sold Out in Two Hours: report
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 27, 2013 5:29 PM EST
Sony Corp's high-end Xperia Z smartphone, which was recently unveiled at the ongoing Consumer Electronics Show, is reportedly off to a good start after its launch in home country Japan and several parts of Europe.
According to Reuters, Sony's Sony Mobile's Calum MacDougall, head of Xperia marketing said "We have seen really good pre-orders. We had the first stocks available in Germany in Berlin at the Sony store and sold those out in two hours."
"In France, we sold more in one day in our online store than we sold in 12 weeks in mobile devices."
The Android smartphone is currently available in 60 countries. As the initial sales of the handset raised the company's stand in the technology market, the competition from rival companies Apple and Samsung cannot be ignored.
According to Gartner, Sony's market share in the last quarter was up at 1.7 percent, while Apple and Samsung's mobile phone share stood at 9.2 percent and 22.7 percent, respectively. Sony's new phone is price at 649 euros.
"It (the Xperia smartphone) sold over 150,000 units in its first week in Japan, taking a 24 percent market share straight away." said McDougall. "It may be a bit too early to say but the first signs a very positive."
When asked about the possibility of launching a Windows-based smartphone, McDougall said," The products we will bring to the market in the first half of this year are Android products. Of course we are always looking at different operating systems."
Sony seemed to have started on a good note with its Xperia Z smartphone. Stepping up the competition in the tablet segment, the company also announced the launch of its 10.1-inch Xperia Tablet Z Android tablet at the electronics convention.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier