Sony’s Xperia Z Smartphone Marks Strong Sales; First Lot Sold Out in Two Hours: report
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 27, 2013 5:29 PM EST
Sony Corp's high-end Xperia Z smartphone, which was recently unveiled at the ongoing Consumer Electronics Show, is reportedly off to a good start after its launch in home country Japan and several parts of Europe.
According to Reuters, Sony's Sony Mobile's Calum MacDougall, head of Xperia marketing said "We have seen really good pre-orders. We had the first stocks available in Germany in Berlin at the Sony store and sold those out in two hours."
"In France, we sold more in one day in our online store than we sold in 12 weeks in mobile devices."
The Android smartphone is currently available in 60 countries. As the initial sales of the handset raised the company's stand in the technology market, the competition from rival companies Apple and Samsung cannot be ignored.
According to Gartner, Sony's market share in the last quarter was up at 1.7 percent, while Apple and Samsung's mobile phone share stood at 9.2 percent and 22.7 percent, respectively. Sony's new phone is price at 649 euros.
"It (the Xperia smartphone) sold over 150,000 units in its first week in Japan, taking a 24 percent market share straight away." said McDougall. "It may be a bit too early to say but the first signs a very positive."
When asked about the possibility of launching a Windows-based smartphone, McDougall said," The products we will bring to the market in the first half of this year are Android products. Of course we are always looking at different operating systems."
Sony seemed to have started on a good note with its Xperia Z smartphone. Stepping up the competition in the tablet segment, the company also announced the launch of its 10.1-inch Xperia Tablet Z Android tablet at the electronics convention.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Toyota Tops World Sales of Cars, Sells Over 5K Million Vehicles in First Half of 2014
- New Malaysia Airlines Caught in Adelaide Airport Latest Scare
- Man Swindles Apple for $309,768 in 16 States
- Air New Zealand Pays $1000 to NZ9 Passengers After Three-Night Delay
- Formula 1 Chief Sues Google over Sex Party Pictures
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World