One Wounded At South Carolina College; Shooter At Large
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 27, 2013 2:53 PM EST
One person was shot and wounded at Coastal Carolina University in Conway, S.C., Tuesday night, and the shooter is still at large, authorities said.
CCU spokesman Doug Bell told CNN the shooter escaped in a vehicle and the unidentified male victim was taken to Grand Strand Regional Medical Center in Myrtle Beach.
As of 10:30 p.m. EST, the lockdown on the whole campus has been lifted, but all residence halls remain locked down, according to the latest update from campus officials.
A 911 call came in at 7:22 p.m., and campus police and Conway police responded immediately and found the victim, who was transported to a nearby hospital, CCU spokeswoman Martha Hunn told WMBF.
The first alert issued by the college around 8 said a shooting occurred at University Place, an off-campus housing facility for students. A second alert was sent moments later to stating that the shooting was "not ongoing," but the search for the gunman was continuing.
The gunman -- there is no detailed description yet -- remains at large. The condition of the victim, their relationship to the shooter, or the motive are unknown.
More than 9,000 students attend the school, which is located on 630 acres about 15 miles northwest of Myrtle Beach.
Coastal Carolina University was founded in 1954 as Coastal Carolina Junior College. It became an independent university in 1993.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- NVIDIA Shield Gaming Tablet with Tegra K1 SoC Reported to be Released on July 29