One Wounded At South Carolina College; Shooter At Large
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 27, 2013 2:53 PM EST
One person was shot and wounded at Coastal Carolina University in Conway, S.C., Tuesday night, and the shooter is still at large, authorities said.
CCU spokesman Doug Bell told CNN the shooter escaped in a vehicle and the unidentified male victim was taken to Grand Strand Regional Medical Center in Myrtle Beach.
As of 10:30 p.m. EST, the lockdown on the whole campus has been lifted, but all residence halls remain locked down, according to the latest update from campus officials.
A 911 call came in at 7:22 p.m., and campus police and Conway police responded immediately and found the victim, who was transported to a nearby hospital, CCU spokeswoman Martha Hunn told WMBF.
The first alert issued by the college around 8 said a shooting occurred at University Place, an off-campus housing facility for students. A second alert was sent moments later to stating that the shooting was "not ongoing," but the search for the gunman was continuing.
The gunman -- there is no detailed description yet -- remains at large. The condition of the victim, their relationship to the shooter, or the motive are unknown.
More than 9,000 students attend the school, which is located on 630 acres about 15 miles northwest of Myrtle Beach.
Coastal Carolina University was founded in 1954 as Coastal Carolina Junior College. It became an independent university in 1993.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage