One Wounded At South Carolina College; Shooter At Large
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 27, 2013 2:53 PM EST
One person was shot and wounded at Coastal Carolina University in Conway, S.C., Tuesday night, and the shooter is still at large, authorities said.
CCU spokesman Doug Bell told CNN the shooter escaped in a vehicle and the unidentified male victim was taken to Grand Strand Regional Medical Center in Myrtle Beach.
As of 10:30 p.m. EST, the lockdown on the whole campus has been lifted, but all residence halls remain locked down, according to the latest update from campus officials.
A 911 call came in at 7:22 p.m., and campus police and Conway police responded immediately and found the victim, who was transported to a nearby hospital, CCU spokeswoman Martha Hunn told WMBF.
The first alert issued by the college around 8 said a shooting occurred at University Place, an off-campus housing facility for students. A second alert was sent moments later to stating that the shooting was "not ongoing," but the search for the gunman was continuing.
The gunman -- there is no detailed description yet -- remains at large. The condition of the victim, their relationship to the shooter, or the motive are unknown.
More than 9,000 students attend the school, which is located on 630 acres about 15 miles northwest of Myrtle Beach.
Coastal Carolina University was founded in 1954 as Coastal Carolina Junior College. It became an independent university in 1993.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- These 2 Questions Reveal if You Unwittingly Abuse Alcohol
- Jennifer Lopez and Her Wild 45th Birthday Party: How JLo’s Life-Size Birthday Cake from SamiCakes Boutique Was Made
- Blake Griffin’s Back Injury Is the Reason for His Withdrawal from Team U.S.A.
- Supernatural Season 10 Spoilers: Metatron Capable of Saving Castiel's Fading Grace
- Anderson Silva To Test the Octagon Anew After Freak Leg Injury, To Fight Nick Diaz in 2015