Why Is Maksim Chmerkovskiy Leaving ‘Dancing With The Stars;' Did He Quit Or Get Fired From 'DWTS?'
By Maria Vultaggio | February 27, 2013 11:13 AM EST
Maksim Chmerkovskiy isn’t returning to “Dancing With The Stars.”
The 33-year-old pro dancer of Ukrainian descent has been on the show for nearly seven years, teaching celebs like Kirstie Alley, Melissa Gilbert and Hope Solo how to dance.
He’s been a controversial figure, sometimes accused of pushing his partners too far. Soccer star Solo even wrote a book where she claimed he physically abused her during practice.
In a carefully worded statement, Chmerkovskiy announced that he would not be coming back to the show for another season on Tuesday:
“I just want to set the record straight to all of my amazing fans that I will unfortunately not be returning for this season of 'Dancing With the Stars.' I’ve been a pro dancer on the show for about seven years now and am eager to explore other opportunities that have been made possible because of the show. I'm going to take this time to dive into producing and acting, while fulfilling my sponsorship obligations.
“A big thank you to all of my fans for your never-ending support. I also want to thank the entire cast and production of ‘Dancing With the Stars.’"
Some of his fans are wondering if he got fired or quit, but it doesn’t seem “Maks” will be revealing that information anytime soon.
His younger brother Val, who’s been on the show for the past three seasons, will be returning for the 16th season of the show.
[Check out the full cast of “Dancing With The Stars” season 16]
Other “DWTS” pros who have left the show have gone of to find success, most notably Julianne Hough, who appeared in "Footloose,” “Burlesque,” "Rock of Ages,” and currently in the Nicholas Sparks film “Safe Haven,” opposite Josh Duhamel.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy: Alleged Miscarriage Makes Prince William and Prince Harry Somber - Reports
- Beyonce &Jay Z Marriage Story: Bey Not Attracted to Jay, Married Him for Professional Growth - Reports
- Kendra Wilkinson's Divorce Troubles: Hank Baskett Cheated Before Allegedly Caught with Transexual Model - Reports
- Khloe Kardashian Feels her Failed Marriage with Lamar Odom Helped Cause Rob Kardashian's Depression
- The Bachelor Update: Find Out if Juan Pablo and Nikki Ferrell Are Still With Each Other
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona, Man Utd to Compete for Juan Cuadrado's Signature as Fiorentina Reveal Willingness to Sell
- Hilary Duff's New Music Video Chasing the Sun Goes Viral on YouTube [WATCH VIDEO]
- LeBron James to Return to Miami, Face Heat on Christmas Day 2014
- Shanghai Stock Exchange Will Not Extend Trading Hours
- Qatar's Surging Real Estate Prices Won't Affect Thriving Economy – Report