Pope Resigns 2013: Retiring Papal Shoes Is Not a Prada, but Made by an Italian Cobbler
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 27, 2013 10:39 AM EST
All his bags are almost packed and he is ready to go, but retiring Pope Benedict XVI is not leaving on a jet plane although is leaving behind his red shoes.
The decision to change shoe colors is part of the changes that he embraces along with a new title come March 1 when he becomes Pope Emeritus.
Besides packing his bag, the retiring pontiff also spent his last remaining days in the apostolic palace praying and sorting documents that he will leave in Vatican to be added to the papal archives or he will bring with him to his retirement home.
The documents to be left behind include the confidential report or the so-called Vatileaks that his former butler gave out to the press which provided juicy details on Vatican corruption and politics.
He is also leaving behind for his successor, who will be chose in a conclave in March, the problems regarding sexual abuse cases filed against the clergy. Among those accused is Canadian Keith Cardinal O'Brien who was forced by Pope Benedict to step down as head of the Scottish Catholic Church four weeks ahead of the cardinal's retirement. As a result, the cardinal opted not to participate in the forthcoming conclave.
The changes in the papal wardrobe are the result of two weeks of consultations with aides and theology and history experts. He will replace the red shoes with a brown pair of loafers given to him by shoemakers when he visited Leon, Mexico, in 2012. Fr Federico Lombardi, Vatican spokesman, disclosed that the pope selected the Made-in-Mexico loafers because he finds it a very comfortable pair.
The new shoes will be matched by a simple white cassock as the pope leaves behind his mozzetta, an elbow-length cape. The ring, referred to as the ring of the fisherman, will be destroyed.
Contrary to perceptions that his ruby red shoe is a Prada, the pair that will also go on retirement was made by his personal cobbler, Adriano Stefanelli. It is made of Morocco leather and has a wide cross in gold braid.
The red color of the papal footwear is not a fashion statement but symbolises the blood of martyrs who died defending their faith.
So far, 50,000 tickets had been requested for his final public general audience in St Peter's Square on Wednesday. On his last day, after meeting with the cardinals in the morning, he will leave the Holy See not on a jet plane but on a helicopter bound for Castel Gandolfo where he will greet local parishioners. It would be his last public act as head of the 1.2 billion-member Catholic church.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Pope Francis Ultimate Target By Conservative Cardinals
- Are You There, Archbishop Welby Asks God
- Sydney Public Beheadings Confirmed By PM Tony Abbott
- End Times Prophecy Lurking W/ WW3 Nuclear Threat, Iraq Crisis And Ebola
- End-Of-The World Doomsday Prophets Continue To Spread Mandatory Chip Implant Hoax, Claims EU Requires Newborns To Have RFID Implants
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- Samsung SM-A500 (aka Wallet-Friendly Galaxy Alpha) Clears TENAA Revealing Images And Specs
- Amazon Announces Kindle Fire HD 6, Kindle Fire HD 7 Tablets; Official Release Date Is Oct 2
- 'ISIL Has To Be Defeated, Plain And Simple, End Of Story,' Sen. John Kerry
- Chinese Property Developer Flees To New Zealand After China Arrests Vice-Mayor For Corrupt Deals
- Amazon Announces 7 New Kindles: Upgraded Amazon 8.9-inch Kindle Fire HDX Available Now On Pre-order