Senate Confirms Chuck Hagel As Defense Secretary, 58-41
February 27, 2013 9:42 AM EST
The full U.S. Senate voted by 58 to 41 Tuesday afternoon to confirm former Sen. Chuck Hagel as secretary of defense after a bitter and drawn-out debate.
Hagel, a decorated Vietnam veteran and Nebraska Republican, needed only a simple majority of 51 votes but first had to clear a filibuster mounted by his former GOP colleagues. The key vote came Tuesday morning when the Senate voted 71 to 27 to end the debate.
The four Republican senators voting in favor were Thad Cochran of Mississippi, Mike Johanns of Nebraska, Richard Shelby of Alabama and Rand Paul of Kentucky. All 41 no votes came from Republicans.
Hagel was seen as a controversial choice by his fellow party members who delayed his full vote two weeks ago. It was charged that he was too soft on Iran and hostile to Israel, and some Republicans used the nomination to demand more answers from the Obama administration on the attack on a U.S. mission in Benghazi, Libya -- which Hagel had nothing to do with.
Hagel is also seen as more likely to support the rapid withdrawal of U.S. troops from Afghanistan – a position that’s in line with President Barack Obama's – and Republicans were uneasy with the former senator’s opposition to the 2007 surge in Iraq.
Hagel will succeed Defense Secretary Leon Panetta.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Teachers’ Strike in BC, Canada Stalls 1st Day of School; Labour Dispute Could Last Even After Labour Day
- Russia Massacres Ukrainian Volunteer Battalions—Surviving Members Alleged
- Australia Races Against Potential Genocide In Iraq
- ISIS Will Target the U.S. Power Grid, Former CIA Says; Could Tap Other Fellow Extremist Groups to Do the Job
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase