US Home Price Are Up; Here’s A Snapshot Of What The Median Regional Cost Will Buy You
By Angelo Young | February 27, 2013 8:16 AM EST
U.S. single-family home prices are edging up as foreclosures ease, mortgage rates fall and potential home buyers are more willing to dive back into the market.
This helped raise prices by over 7 percent nationwide in the last quarter of 2013, according to the latest figures from Standard & Poor’s/Case-Shiller.
Big home improvement retailers The Home Depot, Inc. (NYSE:HD) and Lowe's Companies, Inc. (NYSE:LOW) both beat Wall Street profit forecasts in their latest quarterly earnings reports, suggesting that recent home buyers have been busy getting their new pads in order.
According to the National Association of Realtors, January’s median home prices are up across the nation by 12.3 percent, to $173,600.
The country’s Western region, which has been battered hard by the repercussions of the 2008 subprime mortgage meltdown, is seeing a nearly 27 percent rise in year-over-year median home prices, to $239,800.
The Northeast saw the smallest growth, of 2.4 percent, to $230,500. Purchasing is up, too. Americans bought 9.1 percent more homes in January than in the same period last year. All regions saw increases in buys except the West, where the number of home purchases shrank by 5.7 percent.
The market is far from healed, and listings consistently show homes selling at lower prices than what they were bought for. Here’s a snapshot of what the median home price per region will get you.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 Plus vs Xiaomi Mi4 – The iPhone Killer Certainly Can Battle Well With The New Apple Phablet
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet