US Home Price Are Up; Here’s A Snapshot Of What The Median Regional Cost Will Buy You
By Angelo Young | February 27, 2013 8:16 AM EST
U.S. single-family home prices are edging up as foreclosures ease, mortgage rates fall and potential home buyers are more willing to dive back into the market.
This helped raise prices by over 7 percent nationwide in the last quarter of 2013, according to the latest figures from Standard & Poor’s/Case-Shiller.
Big home improvement retailers The Home Depot, Inc. (NYSE:HD) and Lowe's Companies, Inc. (NYSE:LOW) both beat Wall Street profit forecasts in their latest quarterly earnings reports, suggesting that recent home buyers have been busy getting their new pads in order.
According to the National Association of Realtors, January’s median home prices are up across the nation by 12.3 percent, to $173,600.
The country’s Western region, which has been battered hard by the repercussions of the 2008 subprime mortgage meltdown, is seeing a nearly 27 percent rise in year-over-year median home prices, to $239,800.
The Northeast saw the smallest growth, of 2.4 percent, to $230,500. Purchasing is up, too. Americans bought 9.1 percent more homes in January than in the same period last year. All regions saw increases in buys except the West, where the number of home purchases shrank by 5.7 percent.
The market is far from healed, and listings consistently show homes selling at lower prices than what they were bought for. Here’s a snapshot of what the median home price per region will get you.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Qatar's Surging Real Estate Prices Won't Affect Thriving Economy – Report
- Long Beach Real Estate Market Is Pricing Out Home Buyers with Limited Budget
- Texas Man Selling Condo With ‘Funniest and Most Revealing Ad’
- New Zealand Minister Announces Web Site for Scrapping Outdated Rules
- Ellen DeGeneres Earns $15M Profit in $55M LA Mansion Sales to Sean Parker
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: Parents of Australian Passenger Want ‘Space Scientists’ to Investigate Crash; Believe in ‘Possibility’ of Survival -- Report
- Childhood Obesity is Strongly Linked With Early Puberty: Study Reveals
- Why Internet of Things is the Next Big Thing for Tech Giants like Samsung, Google and Apple
- Instagram's Newest App Bolt Now Available Exclusively in New Zealand, Singapore and South Africa
- Megan Fox's Weight Loss Aided by Low Carb Paleo Diet: Benefits of the Diet