US Home Price Are Up; Here’s A Snapshot Of What The Median Regional Cost Will Buy You
By Angelo Young | February 27, 2013 8:16 AM EST
U.S. single-family home prices are edging up as foreclosures ease, mortgage rates fall and potential home buyers are more willing to dive back into the market.
This helped raise prices by over 7 percent nationwide in the last quarter of 2013, according to the latest figures from Standard & Poor’s/Case-Shiller.
Big home improvement retailers The Home Depot, Inc. (NYSE:HD) and Lowe's Companies, Inc. (NYSE:LOW) both beat Wall Street profit forecasts in their latest quarterly earnings reports, suggesting that recent home buyers have been busy getting their new pads in order.
According to the National Association of Realtors, January’s median home prices are up across the nation by 12.3 percent, to $173,600.
The country’s Western region, which has been battered hard by the repercussions of the 2008 subprime mortgage meltdown, is seeing a nearly 27 percent rise in year-over-year median home prices, to $239,800.
The Northeast saw the smallest growth, of 2.4 percent, to $230,500. Purchasing is up, too. Americans bought 9.1 percent more homes in January than in the same period last year. All regions saw increases in buys except the West, where the number of home purchases shrank by 5.7 percent.
The market is far from healed, and listings consistently show homes selling at lower prices than what they were bought for. Here’s a snapshot of what the median home price per region will get you.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Canadian House Owners Preferring To Live In Core City Than In Suburbs: Study
- Jennifer Lawrence Buys A New Bachelorette Pad In Beverly Hills
- 5 Cities With The Highest Cost Of Living In 2014
- Lamudi’s Top 5 Tourist Close-To-Nature Destinations In The Philippines
- 3 Key Changes The Real Estate Industry Is Expecting With ASEAN Integration In 2015
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2