Gold Recaptures $1,600 as Bernanke Defends QE Programs
By Eric McWhinnie | February 27, 2013 7:15 AM EST
On Tuesday, gold (NYSEARCA:GLD) futures for April delivery, the most active contract, jumped $28.90 to settle at $1,615.50 per ounce, while silver (NYSEARCA:SLV) futures for March gained 27 cents to close at $29.26. It was gold’s best one-day performance of the year.
Both precious metals received support as Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke delivered the Semiannual Monetary Policy Report to Congress. The central bank signaled it will continue its massive bond-buying programs, as the benefits outweigh the risks. Bernanke also agreed with the stimulus actions being taken in Japan in order to fight deflation, and does not see an equity bubble forming in the United States.
He also said the Fed takes the potential risks that its policies promote excessive risk-taking “very seriously.” Bernanke adds, “To this point we do not see the potential costs of the increased risk-taking in some financial markets as outweighing the benefits of promoting a stronger economic recovery and more-rapid job creation.”
In afternoon trading, the SPDR Gold Trust (NYSEARCA:GLD) and iShares Silver Trust (NYSEARCA:SLV) both increased more than 1 percent. Gold miners (NYSEARCA:GDX) such as Barrick Gold (NYSE:ABX) and Goldcorp (NYSE:GG) jumped 1.6 percent and 2.5 percent, respectively. Silver names such as Endeavour Silver (NYSE:EXK) and Silver Wheaton (NYSE:SLW) edged 0.30 percent and 0.85 percent, respectively.
Don’t Miss: How Strong is Gold Demand?
If you would like to receive professional analysis on miners and other precious metal investments, we invite you to try our premium service free for 14 days.
Disclosure: Long EXK, AG, HL, PHYS
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date