Gold Recaptures $1,600 as Bernanke Defends QE Programs
By Eric McWhinnie | February 27, 2013 7:15 AM EST
On Tuesday, gold (NYSEARCA:GLD) futures for April delivery, the most active contract, jumped $28.90 to settle at $1,615.50 per ounce, while silver (NYSEARCA:SLV) futures for March gained 27 cents to close at $29.26. It was gold’s best one-day performance of the year.
Both precious metals received support as Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke delivered the Semiannual Monetary Policy Report to Congress. The central bank signaled it will continue its massive bond-buying programs, as the benefits outweigh the risks. Bernanke also agreed with the stimulus actions being taken in Japan in order to fight deflation, and does not see an equity bubble forming in the United States.
He also said the Fed takes the potential risks that its policies promote excessive risk-taking “very seriously.” Bernanke adds, “To this point we do not see the potential costs of the increased risk-taking in some financial markets as outweighing the benefits of promoting a stronger economic recovery and more-rapid job creation.”
In afternoon trading, the SPDR Gold Trust (NYSEARCA:GLD) and iShares Silver Trust (NYSEARCA:SLV) both increased more than 1 percent. Gold miners (NYSEARCA:GDX) such as Barrick Gold (NYSE:ABX) and Goldcorp (NYSE:GG) jumped 1.6 percent and 2.5 percent, respectively. Silver names such as Endeavour Silver (NYSE:EXK) and Silver Wheaton (NYSE:SLW) edged 0.30 percent and 0.85 percent, respectively.
Don’t Miss: How Strong is Gold Demand?
If you would like to receive professional analysis on miners and other precious metal investments, we invite you to try our premium service free for 14 days.
Disclosure: Long EXK, AG, HL, PHYS
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier