Gold Recaptures $1,600 as Bernanke Defends QE Programs
By Eric McWhinnie | February 27, 2013 7:15 AM EST
On Tuesday, gold (NYSEARCA:GLD) futures for April delivery, the most active contract, jumped $28.90 to settle at $1,615.50 per ounce, while silver (NYSEARCA:SLV) futures for March gained 27 cents to close at $29.26. It was gold’s best one-day performance of the year.
Both precious metals received support as Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke delivered the Semiannual Monetary Policy Report to Congress. The central bank signaled it will continue its massive bond-buying programs, as the benefits outweigh the risks. Bernanke also agreed with the stimulus actions being taken in Japan in order to fight deflation, and does not see an equity bubble forming in the United States.
He also said the Fed takes the potential risks that its policies promote excessive risk-taking “very seriously.” Bernanke adds, “To this point we do not see the potential costs of the increased risk-taking in some financial markets as outweighing the benefits of promoting a stronger economic recovery and more-rapid job creation.”
In afternoon trading, the SPDR Gold Trust (NYSEARCA:GLD) and iShares Silver Trust (NYSEARCA:SLV) both increased more than 1 percent. Gold miners (NYSEARCA:GDX) such as Barrick Gold (NYSE:ABX) and Goldcorp (NYSE:GG) jumped 1.6 percent and 2.5 percent, respectively. Silver names such as Endeavour Silver (NYSE:EXK) and Silver Wheaton (NYSE:SLW) edged 0.30 percent and 0.85 percent, respectively.
Don’t Miss: How Strong is Gold Demand?
If you would like to receive professional analysis on miners and other precious metal investments, we invite you to try our premium service free for 14 days.
Disclosure: Long EXK, AG, HL, PHYS
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James