NFL Scouting Combine 2013: How Did Manti Te’o, Honey Badger And Geno Smith Perform?
February 27, 2013 7:04 AM EST
The 2013 NFL Scouting Combine is set to conclude on Tuesday, as the league continues to prepare for the draft.
There were several impressive performances throughout the week of workouts. Marquise Goodwin of Texas set the bar high a 4.27-second performance in the 40-yard dash. Missouri Southern State’s Brandon Williams and Margus Hunt of SMU led the way by bench pressing 225 pounds for 38 repetitions each. Jamie Collins of Southern Miss set a combine record with an 11-foot-7 vertical jump.
Tyrann Mathieu was one prospect that needed to do well at the combine. The man known as “Honey Badger” finished 19th among defensive backs with a 40-yard dash time of 4.50. His four reps on the bench press, though, were not particularly good.
Mathieu is looking to improve his draft stock after missing the 2012 college football season. The LSU product admitted to having a problem with marijuana, which ultimately kept him off the field. The cornerback says he no longer has an issue with drugs and is ready to prove what he can do at the next level.
Manti Te’o played all of last season, but he was also a major person of interest, entering the combine. The Heisman Trophy finalist is looking to improve his stock after playing poorly in the BCS National Championship Game against Alabama, and revealing that he lied about his dead girlfriend.
The Notre Dame star ran a 4.82 40-yard dash, which was slower than many had expected. He had run an unofficial 4.46 in practice, but was unable to match that during his official sprint. His mark ranked him 20th at his position.
Te’o performed better in the vertical jump among linebackers, tying for eighth at 33 inches. His 9-foot-5 broad jump put him at 22nd at his position.
Overall, Te’o felt he could have done better, calling performance “OK.” His recent struggles may prevent him from being taken in the first round.
The top quarterback prospect may have improved his draft stock at the combine. Geno Smith ran the 40-yard dash with an official time of 4.59 seconds. His time was similar to that of Colin Kaepernick and Russell Wilson, who both led their teams to the playoffs in their first seasons as starting quarterbacks.
The West Virginia product may not be considered good enough to be taken as the No.1 overall pick, but he may have ensured that he’ll be the first quarterback off the board. He threw the ball well, while USC signal caller Matt Barkley did not participate in throwing drills.
The 2013 NFL Draft will begin on April 25 and end on April 27.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- UFC News: Rhonda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group B: Greece vs. Philippines Live Streaming Info, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Turkey Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans