Lexus Earns Top Honors In Consumer Reports 2013 Ratings, US Carmakers Edged Out Of Top Ten
By Carey Vanderborg | February 27, 2013 6:04 AM EST
Consumer Reports has released its annual car brand report card and Lexus has won best in show for 2013 as the Japanese automaker acquired the top score in the ranking of car brands and vehicles.
The magazine, which recommends 100 percent of the Lexus vehicles it has tested, rewarded the company with a score of 79 for its “plush and very reliable vehicles.”
"That is quite a feat for a brand whose cars are brimming with technology including impressive hybrid drivetrains and complicated infotainment systems," Jake Fisher, director of automotive testing for Consumer Reports, said in a statement.
Japanese brands continued to dominate the ratings as a total of eight of the top 10 spots were earned by automakers representing the country, including Subaru and Mazda, which both tied for second with scores of 76. Toyota and Acura brands round out the top five with a report card score of 74.
While none of the domestic automakers made the top 10, Cadillac – helped by good marks for its sedans -- did the best at No. 14.
Consumer Reports rated each automaker's individual brands rather than calculating a single score for all the brands under one carmaker. For example, Toyota, Lexus, and Scion models were each scored separately this year instead of being incorporated into one overall score for Toyota. 2013 was the first year the magazine took that approach to scoring.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Fast Food Meat Scandal: McDonald’s Suspend Nuggets and McSpicy Chicken Filets
- Air New Zealand Flies Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner
- Malaysia Airlines Considers Changing Name After MH370 and MH17 Tragedies
- Solution to Your Old Unwanted Phones Comes with MobileMuster Scheme
- IBM Named Leader in Worldwide Managed Security Services
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]
- Sony Xperia Z3 Specs Leaked with More Killer Features Ahead of Samsung Galaxy Note 4, iPhone 6