Lexus Earns Top Honors In Consumer Reports 2013 Ratings, US Carmakers Edged Out Of Top Ten
By Carey Vanderborg | February 27, 2013 6:04 AM EST
Consumer Reports has released its annual car brand report card and Lexus has won best in show for 2013 as the Japanese automaker acquired the top score in the ranking of car brands and vehicles.
The magazine, which recommends 100 percent of the Lexus vehicles it has tested, rewarded the company with a score of 79 for its “plush and very reliable vehicles.”
"That is quite a feat for a brand whose cars are brimming with technology including impressive hybrid drivetrains and complicated infotainment systems," Jake Fisher, director of automotive testing for Consumer Reports, said in a statement.
Japanese brands continued to dominate the ratings as a total of eight of the top 10 spots were earned by automakers representing the country, including Subaru and Mazda, which both tied for second with scores of 76. Toyota and Acura brands round out the top five with a report card score of 74.
While none of the domestic automakers made the top 10, Cadillac – helped by good marks for its sedans -- did the best at No. 14.
Consumer Reports rated each automaker's individual brands rather than calculating a single score for all the brands under one carmaker. For example, Toyota, Lexus, and Scion models were each scored separately this year instead of being incorporated into one overall score for Toyota. 2013 was the first year the magazine took that approach to scoring.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase