Four Spanish lenders set to pass properties to bad bank
February 27, 2013 6:07 AM EST
Four mid-sized Spanish banks are poised to transfer 14 billion euros ($18.30 billion) of soured property assets to a government-backed "bad bank", which on Tuesday issued bonds to give to the banks as payment and completed a capital hike.
The bad bank, known as Sareb, was launched at the end of 2012 as a condition of a 40-billion-euro European rescue of the country's ailing lenders.
It is designed to clean up Spain's banking system after a property crash five years ago, and has taken on tens of thousands of troubled loans to developers, plots of land and buildings in various stages of construction.
Sareb said it was issuing just over 14 billion euros of senior bonds - effectively government debt - which it will then give to the banks in exchange for their deeply-discounted assets.
The banks can use these as collateral to get funding from the European Central Bank.
Sareb also issued more subordinated debt, bought up by outside investors such as insurers Generali
Just over half of Sareb's capital is in the hands of private investors - mainly healthier Spanish banks that are not transferring their assets to Sareb - to reduce the burden on public finances.
Four of Spain's weakest banks, including Bankia
Four more banks are now set to dump more assets in Sareb on February 28, taking the bad bank's assets to between 50 and 55 billion euros.
Caja 3, which is in the process of being taken over by Ibercaja, said on Tuesday that it was transferring just over 2.2 billion euros of property assets to Sareb, while savings bank group CEISS said it would transfer assets worth 3.1 billion euros.
BMN, which will shortly be majority-owned by the state, revealed that the loans and properties it will transfer to Sareb total 5.8 billion euros.
Liberbank said it would transfer 2.9 billion euros of bad real estate assets.
($1 = 0.7649 euros)
(Reporting by Sarah White and Jesus Aguado; Editing by Helen Massy-Beresford and Jane Merriman)
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28