Seth MacFarlane Will Never Host Oscars Awards Again, Says 'No Way'
By Amethyst Tate | February 27, 2013 5:53 AM EST
The Oscars had the biggest audience in three years, but host Seth MacFarlane said he will never do the awards show again.
When asked on Twitter if he would host the Oscars again, MacFarlane replied, “No way. Lotta fun to have done it, though [sic].”
The Oscars, which took place Sunday night on ABC, was watched by 40.3 million people, compared to the telecast’s audience of 39.3 million viewers last year.
MacFarlane, who is known mainly for creating the hit comedy “Family Guy” and co-creating “American Dad,” was heavily criticized by the media after hosting the Oscars, even with the increased ratings.
“Awash in self-indulgence, neither he nor his 3-hour-and-35-minute show ever seemed to hit a comfortable, confident stride, which is a shame, because the broadcast had a lot of entertainment to offer,” read a review by USA Today.
Prior to the Oscars, MacFarlane admitted that hosting was very different than anything else he has done in his career.
“I've enjoyed the writing process. It's really a very different type of production than I've been involved with in the past and it's such an extensive amount of time, and putting it together and having it feel like it has a shape and a consistency has really been a challenge,” he told the Associated Press.
During the awards show, MacFarlane joked about everything from Abraham Lincoln getting shot to actresses’ breasts to Rihanna and Chris Brown watching “Django Unchained” on their date night.
Most of his jokes received gasps rather than laughs, and incited numerous twitter reactions.
“After hearing bits of Seth MacFarlane #Oscards hosting on @npr, glad I missed it. The Rihanna/Chris Brown joke make me abhor him even more,” wrote feminist coach Elizabeth Johnson.
While MacFarlane will not be hosting another Oscars awards event, he certainly put on a memorable show.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Lawson’s Girlfriend Reportedly Entering the House Plus Sandra Gets Evicted [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- 'NCIS' Season 12, Episode 5 Spoilers: Gibbs' Gut OKs FBI Agent Leia Pendergast; A Favorite Guest Star Returns [Watch NCIS 12x5 Promo Video]
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier
- Galaxy Note 4: Best Big-Screen Phone, Says Samsung; Analysts Believe Note 4 Unlikely To Beat iPhone 6 Plus [Watch Video]