Penis Reconstructed with Skin from Accident Victim Mohammed Abad's Arm
By Toyin Owoseje | February 27, 2013 5:59 AM EST
A man whose penis was severed in a car accident when he was six years old is undergoing groundbreaking surgery that doctors hope will rebuild his genitalia with skin from his arm.
Mohammed Abad was playing with friends in Huddersfield in 1978 when he was accidentally pushed under a car and dragged 600ft along a road before the vehicle stopped.
Although he survived, his penis and one of his testicles were destroyed.
Now 40, Abad, who lives in Edinburgh, has been unable to have sex or to conceive. His "penis" was a sensation-less plastic tube used only for urination.
Abad appeared on the 100th episode of Channel 4's Embarrassing Bodies where doctors put him in touch with experts to help.
He was given fresh hope when he was told that a series of revolutionary operations could use skin and fat from his arm to create a new fully functioning penis.
He has undergone the first of the three operations he will need to fully rebuild his manhood.
Appearing on ITV1's This Morning, he said that the operation had given him a new lease of life.
"My parents never sat me down from a young age and said 'when you were young you had an accident and we were told that you can't have [kids]', I've never been told that. I've had to find that out for myself," he told hosts Phillip Schofield and Holly Willoughby.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Meeks Death Hoax: Handsome Felon's Fake Death after Release from Jail Goes Viral
- Another Aviation Disaster: Taiwan Plane Crashes, Passengers Aboard Feared Dead [PHOTO]
- 'Dronies' to Become Latest Trend as Tourism New Zealand Buys Drone to Record Tourists' Videos
- Tony Abbott Launches #BringThemHome Operation for MH17 Victims; Black Avatars Trending on Social Media
- Former Destiny’s Child Star Farrah Franklin Arrested
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales