Seafood-Lover James Humphries Finds 'Priceless' Pearl in Hangover Oyster
By Toyin Owoseje | February 27, 2013 1:27 AM EST
A seafood lover who bought fresh oysters to cure his hangover has beaten odds of a million-to-one after finding a rare pearl inside.
James Humphries from Newquay in Cornwall found the priceless gem inside one of the oysters he had purchased from his local fishmongers to help ease a headache.
The 34-year-old warehouse manager only realised the discovery when he felt a lump in his mouth while tucking into the shellfish.
"I thought a filling had fallen out. It was only when I spat it out that I discovered it was a pearl," he said.
"It's small, but perfectly formed and I absolutely love it."
Gareth Horner, owner of the E Rawle & Co fishmongers, said they had never seen a pearl in a pacific oyster - in 80 years of trading.
"I've been here for 30 years and sold thousands of oysters - but I've never seen a pearl come out of one.
"My dad has been in the business even longer and he's never heard of it either."
According to experts, the most valuable pearls occur spontaneously in the wild but are extremely rare. They are usually found in pearl oysters - not Pacific oysters like Humphries'.
"It's extremely rare for pearls to occur naturally in the wild," Paul Cox, of the National Marine Aquarium in Plymouth, said.
"Most of the pearls you see are cultivated or come from pearl oysters.
"I've never come across anyone who has found a wild pearl before. It's extremely unusual and he's a very lucky man."
Heather Bell of Newquay's Little Gem jewellers said: "It's difficult to put an exact price on this but given the rarity, it's a priceless find for James.
"It has a wonderful lustre - it's a beautiful pearl."
Experts say that a natural pearl is more valuable than those from oyster farms
Humphries says he now plans to have the pearl put in a piece of jewellery, "possibly a little silver fish with the pearl for its eye".
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Virus Might Reach Australia in Months; Health Dept Says Australia Prepared For Outbreak
- Woman, 40, Charged after Six Baby Corpses Found in Canada U-Haul Locker
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Seven Weird Things Banned by Governments
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports