Four Spanish lenders ready asset transfer to 'bad bank'
February 27, 2013 12:56 AM EST
Four mid-sized Spanish lenders are poised to transfer soured property assets to a government-backed "bad bank", which on Tuesday issued just over 14 billion euros (12.2 billion pounds) of bonds to give to the banks as payment.
The bad bank, known as Sareb, is issuing senior bonds, which will be bought by the state, according to a filing with Spain's companies register.
The banks are expected to transfer deeply discounted assets for roughly that amount to Sareb, getting bonds in exchange which they can use as collateral to get funding from the European Central Bank.
Sareb was launched at the end of 2012 as a condition of a 40-billion-euro European rescue of the country's ailing lenders. It is designed to clean up Spain's banking system after a property crash five years ago.
Four of Spain's weakest banks, including Bankia
Four more banks are now set to dump more assets in Sareb on February 28, taking the bad bank's assets to between 50 and 55 billion euros.
Caja 3, which is in the process of being taken over by Ibercaja, said on Tuesday that it was transferring just over 2.2 billion euros of property assets to Sareb.
Caja 3 needed 407 million euros in European funds to rebuild its capital. Its merger with Ibercaja was dependent on its clean-up going ahead.
Liberbank, BMN and CEISS will also be parting with rotten real estate assets.
(Reporting by Sarah White and Jesus Aguado; Editing by Mark Potter and Louise Heavens)
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity
- Fappening: Lindsay Clubine, Wife Of Boston Red Sox Pitcher Clay Buchholz, & George Sampson Of Britain’s Got Talent, Are The Latest Victims Of Celebrity Nude Leaks