Four Spanish lenders ready asset transfer to 'bad bank'
February 27, 2013 12:56 AM EST
Four mid-sized Spanish lenders are poised to transfer soured property assets to a government-backed "bad bank", which on Tuesday issued just over 14 billion euros (12.2 billion pounds) of bonds to give to the banks as payment.
The bad bank, known as Sareb, is issuing senior bonds, which will be bought by the state, according to a filing with Spain's companies register.
The banks are expected to transfer deeply discounted assets for roughly that amount to Sareb, getting bonds in exchange which they can use as collateral to get funding from the European Central Bank.
Sareb was launched at the end of 2012 as a condition of a 40-billion-euro European rescue of the country's ailing lenders. It is designed to clean up Spain's banking system after a property crash five years ago.
Four of Spain's weakest banks, including Bankia
Four more banks are now set to dump more assets in Sareb on February 28, taking the bad bank's assets to between 50 and 55 billion euros.
Caja 3, which is in the process of being taken over by Ibercaja, said on Tuesday that it was transferring just over 2.2 billion euros of property assets to Sareb.
Caja 3 needed 407 million euros in European funds to rebuild its capital. Its merger with Ibercaja was dependent on its clean-up going ahead.
Liberbank, BMN and CEISS will also be parting with rotten real estate assets.
(Reporting by Sarah White and Jesus Aguado; Editing by Mark Potter and Louise Heavens)
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft