'Recession Made Me a Paedophile': Craig Seville Jailed For Web Child Porn
By Dominic Gover | February 27, 2013 12:38 AM EST
A paedophile pilot has been jailed for 40 months after claiming that the recession drove him to child porn.
Craig Seville, 37, said running his flying school in Blackpool in tough economic conditions caused him to develop a lust for indecent images of children.
His lawyer, Barbara Webster, told Preston Crown Court that the former manager had slipped in to a "fantasy world" to escape from "a very distressing and difficult position."
The owner of Blackpool Flying School downloaded nearly 450 banned images and even used Photshop-style software to create composite child pornography images.
When his computers were seized during a police raid last February, officers found dozens of images including one of an 18-month-old baby.
However, as his business continued to struggle, not even the police raid presented Seville from committing child sex crimes.
He eventually exposed himself via webcam to a police officer, whom claimed she was a 12-year-old girl.
When the undercover officer gave him the false age, Seville replied: "That's so sexy. "Do you want to learn about sexual stuff? Would you be interested in trying and learning things with me?"
Seville then tried to make plans to meet his correspondent, attempting to reassure her by saying he had previously been in a relationship with a 13-year-old.
'You have lost everything'
Seville pleaded guilty to three charges of possessing indecent picures of children, indecent assault and distributing pictures.
Judge Stuart Baker rejected his claim the web was not reality, telling the defendant: "This is not the stuff of fantasy - there's no fantasy world involving the abuse of children.
"The children depicted in the images are children being appallingly abused by adults elsewhere in the world. Watching this material gives oxygen to those who produce it. Those are real children, being badly abused.
"It is truly always a very sad occasion when a court has to impose a sentence on a mature man who has been industrious, who has had a successful career in business and well liked amongst his community, friends and family and well regarded and well respected.
"You have lost your business, your employment and your reputation and, no doubt for many years to come, bear a stigma amongst the community at large for these offences."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Robots May Be Used to Fight Ebola in West Africa; Australian PM Admits US, UK Asked For Medical Teams
- Decades-Long Mystery of Oklahoma Lake Solved, Missing Six Bodies Identified
- Belgium Chocolate Maker ISIS Forced To Change Brand Name To Escape Customer Fury
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS