Manchester United Trialist Excels in Under-21 Victory Over Liverpool
By Adrian Back | February 27, 2013 12:04 AM EST
Leicester City forward Jeffrey Schlupp did everything in his power to prove that he is good enough to play for Manchester United as he excelled in the 1-0 win over Liverpool in the Under-21 Premier League.
The 20-year-old was initially sent on a one-week trial to United in January but that has now been extended so that manager Sir Alex Ferguson and his coaching staff can assess whether he is good enough to move to club on a permanent basis.
Schlupp was handed the lone striker role against a very strong Liverpool side that featured the likes of Andre Wisdom, Raheem Sterling and Jonjo Shelvey, all of which have made numerous appearances in the first team this season.
The young forward troubled the Liverpool defence all night long and was unfortunate not to get his name on the scoresheet as Liverpool goalkeeper Daniel Ward denied him on numerous occasions at Langtree Park.
Schlupp, who is already a senior international for Ghana, nearly handed Manchester United the lead inside the first 10 minutes after good work from Jesse Lingard but his effort was well saved by Ward.
Liverpool defender Stephen Sama was sent-off in the second half for a second bookable offence and Schlupp continued to cause problems as his long distance effort hit the side netting, before another effort was turned round the post.
The striker was desperate to get his name on the scoresheet but was unable to convert his chances and it was left to Italian defender Michele Fornasier to claim an injury time winner that secured a second win for Manchester United in the elite group.
Schlupp will hope that he has done enough to impress the Manchester United coaches as he attempts to earn a move to the table topping Premier League side.
It would be a fantastic rise for the youngster as it was only two seasons ago that he was playing in League One on-loan for Brentford when he managed to score six goals in nine appearances.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- Chelsea FC Injury Update: Diego Costa Fully Fit Ahead Of West Brom Clash, Says Mourinho
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced