Manchester United Trialist Excels in Under-21 Victory Over Liverpool
By Adrian Back | February 27, 2013 12:04 AM EST
Leicester City forward Jeffrey Schlupp did everything in his power to prove that he is good enough to play for Manchester United as he excelled in the 1-0 win over Liverpool in the Under-21 Premier League.
The 20-year-old was initially sent on a one-week trial to United in January but that has now been extended so that manager Sir Alex Ferguson and his coaching staff can assess whether he is good enough to move to club on a permanent basis.
Schlupp was handed the lone striker role against a very strong Liverpool side that featured the likes of Andre Wisdom, Raheem Sterling and Jonjo Shelvey, all of which have made numerous appearances in the first team this season.
The young forward troubled the Liverpool defence all night long and was unfortunate not to get his name on the scoresheet as Liverpool goalkeeper Daniel Ward denied him on numerous occasions at Langtree Park.
Schlupp, who is already a senior international for Ghana, nearly handed Manchester United the lead inside the first 10 minutes after good work from Jesse Lingard but his effort was well saved by Ward.
Liverpool defender Stephen Sama was sent-off in the second half for a second bookable offence and Schlupp continued to cause problems as his long distance effort hit the side netting, before another effort was turned round the post.
The striker was desperate to get his name on the scoresheet but was unable to convert his chances and it was left to Italian defender Michele Fornasier to claim an injury time winner that secured a second win for Manchester United in the elite group.
Schlupp will hope that he has done enough to impress the Manchester United coaches as he attempts to earn a move to the table topping Premier League side.
It would be a fantastic rise for the youngster as it was only two seasons ago that he was playing in League One on-loan for Brentford when he managed to score six goals in nine appearances.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS