Manchester United Trialist Excels in Under-21 Victory Over Liverpool
By Adrian Back | February 27, 2013 12:04 AM EST
Leicester City forward Jeffrey Schlupp did everything in his power to prove that he is good enough to play for Manchester United as he excelled in the 1-0 win over Liverpool in the Under-21 Premier League.
The 20-year-old was initially sent on a one-week trial to United in January but that has now been extended so that manager Sir Alex Ferguson and his coaching staff can assess whether he is good enough to move to club on a permanent basis.
Schlupp was handed the lone striker role against a very strong Liverpool side that featured the likes of Andre Wisdom, Raheem Sterling and Jonjo Shelvey, all of which have made numerous appearances in the first team this season.
The young forward troubled the Liverpool defence all night long and was unfortunate not to get his name on the scoresheet as Liverpool goalkeeper Daniel Ward denied him on numerous occasions at Langtree Park.
Schlupp, who is already a senior international for Ghana, nearly handed Manchester United the lead inside the first 10 minutes after good work from Jesse Lingard but his effort was well saved by Ward.
Liverpool defender Stephen Sama was sent-off in the second half for a second bookable offence and Schlupp continued to cause problems as his long distance effort hit the side netting, before another effort was turned round the post.
The striker was desperate to get his name on the scoresheet but was unable to convert his chances and it was left to Italian defender Michele Fornasier to claim an injury time winner that secured a second win for Manchester United in the elite group.
Schlupp will hope that he has done enough to impress the Manchester United coaches as he attempts to earn a move to the table topping Premier League side.
It would be a fantastic rise for the youngster as it was only two seasons ago that he was playing in League One on-loan for Brentford when he managed to score six goals in nine appearances.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Fernando Alonso Leaves Ferrari 'For Two Reasons'
- Roger Federer Says He Has Never Seen Rafael Nadal Play So Bad, Wishes That The Spaniard Recuperate Well From Appendicitis
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- Female Boxer Dies In South Africa Following Knockout Blow
- Nick Kyrgios Holds Twitter Q&A, Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time And His Favourite Superhero
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family
- Xiaomi VP Hugo Barra Says ‘Apple iPhone 6 Is The Most Beautiful Smartphone Ever Built’
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown