Manchester United Trialist Excels in Under-21 Victory Over Liverpool
By Adrian Back | February 27, 2013 12:04 AM EST
Leicester City forward Jeffrey Schlupp did everything in his power to prove that he is good enough to play for Manchester United as he excelled in the 1-0 win over Liverpool in the Under-21 Premier League.
The 20-year-old was initially sent on a one-week trial to United in January but that has now been extended so that manager Sir Alex Ferguson and his coaching staff can assess whether he is good enough to move to club on a permanent basis.
Schlupp was handed the lone striker role against a very strong Liverpool side that featured the likes of Andre Wisdom, Raheem Sterling and Jonjo Shelvey, all of which have made numerous appearances in the first team this season.
The young forward troubled the Liverpool defence all night long and was unfortunate not to get his name on the scoresheet as Liverpool goalkeeper Daniel Ward denied him on numerous occasions at Langtree Park.
Schlupp, who is already a senior international for Ghana, nearly handed Manchester United the lead inside the first 10 minutes after good work from Jesse Lingard but his effort was well saved by Ward.
Liverpool defender Stephen Sama was sent-off in the second half for a second bookable offence and Schlupp continued to cause problems as his long distance effort hit the side netting, before another effort was turned round the post.
The striker was desperate to get his name on the scoresheet but was unable to convert his chances and it was left to Italian defender Michele Fornasier to claim an injury time winner that secured a second win for Manchester United in the elite group.
Schlupp will hope that he has done enough to impress the Manchester United coaches as he attempts to earn a move to the table topping Premier League side.
It would be a fantastic rise for the youngster as it was only two seasons ago that he was playing in League One on-loan for Brentford when he managed to score six goals in nine appearances.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Ronda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group B: Greece vs. Philippines Live Streaming Info, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Turkey Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase