Manchester United Trialist Excels in Under-21 Victory Over Liverpool
By Adrian Back | February 27, 2013 12:04 AM EST
Leicester City forward Jeffrey Schlupp did everything in his power to prove that he is good enough to play for Manchester United as he excelled in the 1-0 win over Liverpool in the Under-21 Premier League.
The 20-year-old was initially sent on a one-week trial to United in January but that has now been extended so that manager Sir Alex Ferguson and his coaching staff can assess whether he is good enough to move to club on a permanent basis.
Schlupp was handed the lone striker role against a very strong Liverpool side that featured the likes of Andre Wisdom, Raheem Sterling and Jonjo Shelvey, all of which have made numerous appearances in the first team this season.
The young forward troubled the Liverpool defence all night long and was unfortunate not to get his name on the scoresheet as Liverpool goalkeeper Daniel Ward denied him on numerous occasions at Langtree Park.
Schlupp, who is already a senior international for Ghana, nearly handed Manchester United the lead inside the first 10 minutes after good work from Jesse Lingard but his effort was well saved by Ward.
Liverpool defender Stephen Sama was sent-off in the second half for a second bookable offence and Schlupp continued to cause problems as his long distance effort hit the side netting, before another effort was turned round the post.
The striker was desperate to get his name on the scoresheet but was unable to convert his chances and it was left to Italian defender Michele Fornasier to claim an injury time winner that secured a second win for Manchester United in the elite group.
Schlupp will hope that he has done enough to impress the Manchester United coaches as he attempts to earn a move to the table topping Premier League side.
It would be a fantastic rise for the youngster as it was only two seasons ago that he was playing in League One on-loan for Brentford when he managed to score six goals in nine appearances.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Floyd Rhymes With Avoid,’ Says Manny Pacquiao
- NFL Thanksgiving Games: Chicago Vs. Detroit, Philadelphia Vs. Dallas, And Seattle Vs. San Francisco Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Mayweather Jr. Responds To 2015 Super Fight Talks; American Bashes Pacquiao With Social Media Video Post of Marquez's KO
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Marussia Formula One Team Keeps Its Promise To Injured Driver
- Phil Hughes No More: Australian Batsman Dies at 25
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast
- Walmart Canada Black Friday 2014 Ad For Nov. 28, 2014 Up To Dec. 1, 2014 Includes Savings On The iPad Mini 16GB And The Beats Solo HD Drenched Headphones