Hot Air Balloon Crashes In Egypt Killing 19 Asian, European Tourists
By Amrutha Gayathri | February 26, 2013 9:33 PM EST
A hot air balloon caught fire and exploded near the Egyptian city of Luxor Tuesday, killing 19 tourists including British, French, Hong Kong and Japanese nationals.
The balloon which was carrying 21 people was flying at 1,000 ft (300m) when it caught fire and exploded before plunging onto fields west of Luxor, news agencies reported quoting officials.
A spokesman from the Hong Kong government confirmed to BBC that nine Hong Kong residents were involved in the accident and a team of immigration officers was being sent to Egypt.
One witness told the BBC people were jumping out of the balloon, "from about the height of a seven-storey building.” The report said that a gas cylinder exploded on board the balloon, bringing it down. The British foreign office told the BBC it was making urgent inquiries to confirm reports of British casualties.
The two survivors, including the balloon's pilot, have been admitted to a hospital, AFP reported.
Hot air balloon flights of Luxor give tourists an aerial view of the city’s famous sites, such as Karnak temple and the royal tombs in the Valley of the Kings.
Konny Matthews, assistant manager of Luxor's Al Moudira hotel, told Reuters she heard a boom around 7:00 a.m. (05:00 GMT) local time.
"It was a huge bang. It was a frightening bang, even though it was several kilometers away from the hotel," she was quoted as saying.
In April 2009, a balloon had crashed in Luxor injuring 16 people.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’
- El Niño Update: 2014 Threat Easing, ‘Unlikely to be a Strong Event’ – Australia BoM
- “Women should not laugh in public” - Turkish Deputy PM says
- Opinion Poll in New Zealand Shows National Party Far Ahead in Popular Support
- Kim Dotcom Banks on 5% Youth Vote in New Zealand September Election
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World