Hot Air Balloon Crashes In Egypt Killing 19 Asian, European Tourists
By Amrutha Gayathri | February 26, 2013 9:33 PM EST
A hot air balloon caught fire and exploded near the Egyptian city of Luxor Tuesday, killing 19 tourists including British, French, Hong Kong and Japanese nationals.
The balloon which was carrying 21 people was flying at 1,000 ft (300m) when it caught fire and exploded before plunging onto fields west of Luxor, news agencies reported quoting officials.
A spokesman from the Hong Kong government confirmed to BBC that nine Hong Kong residents were involved in the accident and a team of immigration officers was being sent to Egypt.
One witness told the BBC people were jumping out of the balloon, "from about the height of a seven-storey building.” The report said that a gas cylinder exploded on board the balloon, bringing it down. The British foreign office told the BBC it was making urgent inquiries to confirm reports of British casualties.
The two survivors, including the balloon's pilot, have been admitted to a hospital, AFP reported.
Hot air balloon flights of Luxor give tourists an aerial view of the city’s famous sites, such as Karnak temple and the royal tombs in the Valley of the Kings.
Konny Matthews, assistant manager of Luxor's Al Moudira hotel, told Reuters she heard a boom around 7:00 a.m. (05:00 GMT) local time.
"It was a huge bang. It was a frightening bang, even though it was several kilometers away from the hotel," she was quoted as saying.
In April 2009, a balloon had crashed in Luxor injuring 16 people.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan
- China Is Building An Island In The Spratly Islands—Report
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- Eurozone Indicators Forewarn Imminent Recession: Germany's Manufacturing Sector Slows
- Prince Charles to Reshape Monarchy When He Becomes King – Report
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues