2013 Comet ISON: Comet’s Schedule of Closest Flyby to Sun and Planet Earth
By Jenalyn Villamarin | February 26, 2013 5:19 PM EST
After NASA's Deep Impact space probe captured an image of the comet ISON, astronomers and the curious public are now excitedly talking about the upcoming rare space event. It is currently undetermined how bright the 2013 Comet ISON will shine but it is predicted to be visible during broad daylight.
To further build up the hype surrounding the comet ISON, there is a possibility that the comet will linger on for months. The comet was given the name ISON after the International Scientific Optical Network where Russian astronomers Vitaly Nevski and Artyom Novichonok made the remarkable discovery in September 2012 with a telescope.
For spectators who wish to experience the once-a-century event, they should start searching the skies starting this October as comet ISON approaches planet Earth. Before the month ends, the comet ISON could already be visible to the naked eye.
The real spectacular viewing will begin on November 28 when comet ISON makes its closest approach to the Sun with an approximated distance of 732,000 miles. However, Space.com reports that the precise comet orbit like the newly discovered ISON is difficult to calculate due to its somewhat far distance with planet Earth or the Sun.
In the mean time, listed below are the 2013 Comet ISON flyby dates:
1. October 14-15: Comet ISON will pass by very close to Regulus in Leo
2. November 18: Comet ISON will be within a degree of Spica
3. November 23: Comet ISON will have a very near flyby with planets Mercury and Saturn
4. November 28: Comet ISON will have its closest approach to the sun. If the comet survives the flyby, an amazing tail could possibly become visible.
5. Early December: Viewers can witness the Comet ISON during the evening and morning skies for mid-Northern spectators as well as circumpolar for the far North.
6. December 26: Comet ISON will make a near-Earth flyby at 39.6 million miles.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Of Cambridge ‘Dissed’ By Camilla Parker-Bowles; Delivery Expected In April- Reports
- 'Green Alien Eggs' Spotted on Sydney's Dee Why Beach
- Drag Queens Fume That Facebook Is Banning Aliases And Threaten to Drop Out Of It
- British Teenager Wants Her Leg Cut To be Able To Compete At Paralympics – Watch Video
- Pope Francis, Catholic Church Key To Climate Change Effort
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert
- China Is Also Seizing Disputed Land Along Indian Border