Apple iOS 6.1.3 Kills Jailbreak for iPhone 5, Other Devices, Evad3rs to Develop New Tool - Report
By Arlene Paredes | February 26, 2013 5:12 PM EST
Apple iOS 6.1.3 jailbreak for iPhone 5 and other iOS devices is not possible, according to a developer who works with a popular jailbreaking group. The Apple OS update will reportedly not be rolled out until a month later, but the developer who tested it over the weekend has determined it was not going to work. In fact, jailbreaking developers may have to come up with a new tool and start from scratch.
Apple iOS 6.1.3 Coming in a Month's Time to Kill Evasi0n Jailbreak
David Wang, who is part of the untethered evasi0n jailbreak developers, has already tested the iOS 6.1.3 Beta 2. The results showed the new iOS update has actually broken the evad3rs' jailbreak. This twist happened because the new Apple OS fixes one of the five old bugs that evasi0n exploited to create a jailbreak method.
"If one of the vulnerabilities doesn't work, evasi0n doesn't work," Wang was quoted by Forbes. "We could replace that part with a different vulnerability, but [Apple] will probably fix most if not all of the bugs we've used when 6.1.3 comes out."
Apple iOS 6.1.3 Update to Give Rise to a New Jailbreak Method?
However, Wang said he and his developer group would come up with a new jailbreak from scratch. If they patch most of the bugs," Wang says, "Then we're starting from scratch." So it's not entirely bad news for jailbroken Apple device users.
The Evasi0n group gained fame earlier this month after its jailbreak method freed iPhone 5 users. Forbes reported seven million Apple devices were jailbroken only four days after evasi0n released its jailbreak technique.
Wang guessed Apple would release the 6.1.3 update in a month's time. Jailbroken device users are advised to keep themselves posted as to the effects of iOS 6.1.3 update to their device.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Apple Inc (AAPL) Stock May Reach $150; First Trillion Company Talks, iPhone 6 and Apple Watch Boost Price
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan