Apple iOS 6.1.3 Kills Jailbreak for iPhone 5, Other Devices, Evad3rs to Develop New Tool - Report
By Arlene Paredes | February 26, 2013 5:12 PM EST
Apple iOS 6.1.3 jailbreak for iPhone 5 and other iOS devices is not possible, according to a developer who works with a popular jailbreaking group. The Apple OS update will reportedly not be rolled out until a month later, but the developer who tested it over the weekend has determined it was not going to work. In fact, jailbreaking developers may have to come up with a new tool and start from scratch.
Apple iOS 6.1.3 Coming in a Month's Time to Kill Evasi0n Jailbreak
David Wang, who is part of the untethered evasi0n jailbreak developers, has already tested the iOS 6.1.3 Beta 2. The results showed the new iOS update has actually broken the evad3rs' jailbreak. This twist happened because the new Apple OS fixes one of the five old bugs that evasi0n exploited to create a jailbreak method.
"If one of the vulnerabilities doesn't work, evasi0n doesn't work," Wang was quoted by Forbes. "We could replace that part with a different vulnerability, but [Apple] will probably fix most if not all of the bugs we've used when 6.1.3 comes out."
Apple iOS 6.1.3 Update to Give Rise to a New Jailbreak Method?
However, Wang said he and his developer group would come up with a new jailbreak from scratch. If they patch most of the bugs," Wang says, "Then we're starting from scratch." So it's not entirely bad news for jailbroken Apple device users.
The Evasi0n group gained fame earlier this month after its jailbreak method freed iPhone 5 users. Forbes reported seven million Apple devices were jailbroken only four days after evasi0n released its jailbreak technique.
Wang guessed Apple would release the 6.1.3 update in a month's time. Jailbroken device users are advised to keep themselves posted as to the effects of iOS 6.1.3 update to their device.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- California Fruits Recalled in USA and Canada for Possible Listeria Contamination
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Air Carrier Losing $1.6 Million/Day; Crisis Management Experts Suggest Hiring Risk Expert as CEO
- The IBM and Apple Merger: Will it Spell Trouble to Rival Companies
- CBA, NAB, Westpac in Fixed Rate War Offering Below 5% Interest
- New Zealand's Largest Snack Food Company Bought for NZ$700 Million
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown