2013 Papal Conclave: Vatican Confirms Revision Made to Give Way to Pope Benedict XVI Successor
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | February 26, 2013 3:28 PM EST
It was not as if it was unexpected, but Vatican had announced and confirmed that the revisions made on the century old procedures surrounding a papal conclave was indeed facilitated to give way for the selection of the successor of outgoing Pope Benedict XVI.
Effectively, the College of Cardinals may now organise to conduct a papal conclave before March 15.
"I leave the College of Cardinals the possibility to bring forward the start of the conclave once all cardinals are present, or push the beginning of the election back by a few days should there be serious reasons," the pope said in a statement read by his spokesman, Father Federico Lombardi.
But the order likewise mandated that the conclave must occur within 20 days of a pope's resignation or death, with "all the cardinal electors present."
Under the revised rules for a papal conclave process, a cardinal may only become pope if he gets to acquire two-thirds of the cardinals' written votes. The previous elections, some pontiffs took on the reigns of the papacy after a verbal compromise was reached or uttered between two or three competing camps.
The resigned pope likewise enacted an administrative order wherein the select few who are allowed to act as aides into the secret vote will be required to take an oath of secrecy, or otherwise risk the penalty of excommunication from the Roman Catholic secular faith.
They will be made to swear an oath, which reads: "I will observe absolute and perpetual secrecy with all who are not part of the College of Cardinal electors concerning all matters directly or indirectly related to the ballots cast and their scrutiny for the election of the Supreme Pontiff."
"I declare that I take this oath fully aware that an infraction thereof will make me subject to the penalty of excommunication 'latae sententiae', which is reserved to the Apostolic See."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date