2013 Papal Conclave: Vatican Confirms Revision Made to Give Way to Pope Benedict XVI Successor
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | February 26, 2013 3:28 PM EST
It was not as if it was unexpected, but Vatican had announced and confirmed that the revisions made on the century old procedures surrounding a papal conclave was indeed facilitated to give way for the selection of the successor of outgoing Pope Benedict XVI.
Effectively, the College of Cardinals may now organise to conduct a papal conclave before March 15.
"I leave the College of Cardinals the possibility to bring forward the start of the conclave once all cardinals are present, or push the beginning of the election back by a few days should there be serious reasons," the pope said in a statement read by his spokesman, Father Federico Lombardi.
But the order likewise mandated that the conclave must occur within 20 days of a pope's resignation or death, with "all the cardinal electors present."
Under the revised rules for a papal conclave process, a cardinal may only become pope if he gets to acquire two-thirds of the cardinals' written votes. The previous elections, some pontiffs took on the reigns of the papacy after a verbal compromise was reached or uttered between two or three competing camps.
The resigned pope likewise enacted an administrative order wherein the select few who are allowed to act as aides into the secret vote will be required to take an oath of secrecy, or otherwise risk the penalty of excommunication from the Roman Catholic secular faith.
They will be made to swear an oath, which reads: "I will observe absolute and perpetual secrecy with all who are not part of the College of Cardinal electors concerning all matters directly or indirectly related to the ballots cast and their scrutiny for the election of the Supreme Pontiff."
"I declare that I take this oath fully aware that an infraction thereof will make me subject to the penalty of excommunication 'latae sententiae', which is reserved to the Apostolic See."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Ghost Captured On Video, Stanley Palace Home To The Paranormal
- China Crackdown Against Christianity: Removes Church Cross, Cites Building Code Violation
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Pakistani Mob Burns 3 Over Blasphemous Post on Facebook (VIDEO)
- Eid 2014: Facts and History on the Islamic Festival After Ramadan
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World