Queensland Flashfloods Claim One Life, More Rescues Underway as Missing Woman Found
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | February 26, 2013 2:44 PM EST
The torrential rain pounding across southern Queensland and the resulting flashfloods has claimed at least one life on Tuesday. But hopes returned in favor of the rescue teams who were able to find a 47-year-old woman after being reported missing for more than 12 hours. Efforts to rescue another stranded motorist is underway.
The 49-year-old unidentified woman left her car along Porters Road, Pomono on Monday late afternoon, presumably because of the high floods. Police said she decided to walk her way home and had phoned her husband about it.
But loved ones remain agitated as the night went on with no sign of her. They reported her missing. Police discovered her car at 12.30 night, but unfortunately had to discontinue the search and rescue due to dangerous conditions.
By some luck, she was found safe and well on Tuesday morning. Police did not provide further details.
It was a different scenario for yet another unidentified 77-year-old man who died trapped inside his car that was submerged in Sandy Creek, 100 kilometres north of Brisbane.
Police reports said passers-by tried to wade into the water to get and save the man but the current proved to be strong and the floodwaters high. He was declared dead at the scene.
Authorities are currently conducting another rescue at Kandanga, 28km south-west of Gympie, to save a stranded motorist. Although the driver is safe and on dry land, rescuers are having a hard time battling for control over the floods. Authorities said they may need to use a flood boat to retrieve him.
The heavy rains now pounding across southern Queensland is expected to continue until Wednesday with strong winds closing beaches across the Gold and Sunshine coasts.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- Russia Massacres Ukrainian Volunteer Battalions—Surviving Members Alleged
- ISIS Will Target the U.S. Power Grid, Former CIA Says; Could Tap Other Fellow Extremist Groups to Do the Job
- Teachers’ Strike in BC, Canada Stalls 1st Day of School; Labour Dispute Could Last Even After Labour Day
- Australia Races Against Potential Genocide In Iraq
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers