Queensland Flashfloods Claim One Life, More Rescues Underway as Missing Woman Found
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | February 26, 2013 2:44 PM EST
The torrential rain pounding across southern Queensland and the resulting flashfloods has claimed at least one life on Tuesday. But hopes returned in favor of the rescue teams who were able to find a 47-year-old woman after being reported missing for more than 12 hours. Efforts to rescue another stranded motorist is underway.
The 49-year-old unidentified woman left her car along Porters Road, Pomono on Monday late afternoon, presumably because of the high floods. Police said she decided to walk her way home and had phoned her husband about it.
But loved ones remain agitated as the night went on with no sign of her. They reported her missing. Police discovered her car at 12.30 night, but unfortunately had to discontinue the search and rescue due to dangerous conditions.
By some luck, she was found safe and well on Tuesday morning. Police did not provide further details.
It was a different scenario for yet another unidentified 77-year-old man who died trapped inside his car that was submerged in Sandy Creek, 100 kilometres north of Brisbane.
Police reports said passers-by tried to wade into the water to get and save the man but the current proved to be strong and the floodwaters high. He was declared dead at the scene.
Authorities are currently conducting another rescue at Kandanga, 28km south-west of Gympie, to save a stranded motorist. Although the driver is safe and on dry land, rescuers are having a hard time battling for control over the floods. Authorities said they may need to use a flood boat to retrieve him.
The heavy rains now pounding across southern Queensland is expected to continue until Wednesday with strong winds closing beaches across the Gold and Sunshine coasts.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
Join the Conversation
- ACT Party's Demand to Re Consider Maoris Privileges Evokes Reprimand
- Opinion Poll in New Zealand Shows National Party Far Ahead in Popular Support
- “Women should not laugh in public” - Turkish Deputy PM says
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’
- Canada Claims Good Progress in EU Trade Pact Despite Germany’s Defiant Postures
- These 2 Questions Reveal if You Unwittingly Abuse Alcohol
- Blake Griffin’s Back Injury Is the Reason for His Withdrawal from Team U.S.A.
- Supernatural Season 10 Spoilers: Metatron Capable of Saving Castiel's Fading Grace
- Anderson Silva To Test the Octagon Anew After Freak Leg Injury, To Fight Nick Diaz in 2015