Tom Brady Signs $27M 'for Life' Contract with Patriots
By Ryan Inoyori | February 26, 2013 2:28 PM EST
The American football quarterback Tom Brady of the New England Patriots signed on Tuesday a three-year, $27 million contract extension and presumably will be a member of the Patriots for life. The extension will carry him through the 2017 season.
Jason La Forta of CBS Sports NFL confirmed the contract. Peter King of Sports Illustrated who first reported the deal, said the contract offers stunning financial terms.
"Brady will receive a $3 million signing bonus immediately, and he will receive $7 million in 2015, $8 million in 2016, and $9 million in 2017," he wrote in cbssports.com.
La Canfora also reports that the brand new Brady deal holds about $5 to $6 million in cap relief for the Patriots this year. The team and Brady could change the deal in the coming years.
Peter King has Brady's cap numbers within the next five years: $13.8 million for 2013, $14.8 million for 2014, $13 million for 2015, $14 million for 2016, and $15 million for 2017.
The deal, however, is less than half the $20-million per season rate of Drew Brees of the New Orleans Saints in 2012 and the contract amount that Joe Flacco of the Baltimore Ravens hope to top in his 2013 contract.
As a starter, Brady's ten seasons earned trips for the Patriots to the Super Bowl in five of them, winning three. He also won two Super Bowl MVP awards and holds the NFL record for most touchdown passes in a single regular season. Tom Brady's career postseason record is 17-6 with his playoff win total is the highest in NFL history.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tasks Engineers to Create the Perfect Tennis Racquet [VIDEO]
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- LeBron James and Cleveland Cavaliers the Team to Beat in the East – Paul George
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Striker Disappointed with Cesc Fabregas Sale to Chelsea
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff