Tom Brady Signs $27M 'for Life' Contract with Patriots
By Ryan Inoyori | February 26, 2013 2:28 PM EST
The American football quarterback Tom Brady of the New England Patriots signed on Tuesday a three-year, $27 million contract extension and presumably will be a member of the Patriots for life. The extension will carry him through the 2017 season.
Jason La Forta of CBS Sports NFL confirmed the contract. Peter King of Sports Illustrated who first reported the deal, said the contract offers stunning financial terms.
"Brady will receive a $3 million signing bonus immediately, and he will receive $7 million in 2015, $8 million in 2016, and $9 million in 2017," he wrote in cbssports.com.
La Canfora also reports that the brand new Brady deal holds about $5 to $6 million in cap relief for the Patriots this year. The team and Brady could change the deal in the coming years.
Peter King has Brady's cap numbers within the next five years: $13.8 million for 2013, $14.8 million for 2014, $13 million for 2015, $14 million for 2016, and $15 million for 2017.
The deal, however, is less than half the $20-million per season rate of Drew Brees of the New Orleans Saints in 2012 and the contract amount that Joe Flacco of the Baltimore Ravens hope to top in his 2013 contract.
As a starter, Brady's ten seasons earned trips for the Patriots to the Super Bowl in five of them, winning three. He also won two Super Bowl MVP awards and holds the NFL record for most touchdown passes in a single regular season. Tom Brady's career postseason record is 17-6 with his playoff win total is the highest in NFL history.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
Join the Conversation
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’