'I Am God': Atheist WWE Star CM Punk Starts Controversy After Making Ultimate Boast
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 26, 2013 2:04 PM EST
CM Punk, one of the WWE's most popular wrestlers, started a major controversy Monday night when he declared that he is God during a Raw promo before his showdown with John Cena, drawing the ire of many supporters while generating glowing praise from others.
CM Punk -- real name Phillip Jack Brooks -- is one of the most outspoken of the WWE's superstars, but on Monday he took his boasts to a whole new level by claiming that he is God.
"I am the icon walking amongst Superstars," he said. "I am the best in the world. ... I Am GOD!"
The fact that CM Punk is an avowed atheist has only exacerbated the discussion of his decision to tread in the footsteps of John Lennon, who attracted massive controversy and derision when he publicly stated that the Beatles were more popular than Jesus.
Described by the WWE as "the longest-reigning WWE Champion of the modern era," CM Punk's words have more reach than most other wrestling star's, and wrestling fans took the Web Monday evening to voice their opinions on the bold statement.
"No Cole. CM Punk didn't COMPARE himself to God. He said he IS God. Which is true.
And the aptly-named @ATHEIST went a step further in his response:
@HEELSierra i dont think he's god.. I think he's BETTER than god. He's straightedge, god wasnt, therefore he's better than god."
But some people weren't amused. A single Yahoo! Answers thread on the topic contained more than a dozen comments lambasting the wrestler for his comparing himself to God.
One user named Mike had the following succinct response to CM Punk's boast: "Welcome to the world of douches. Or am I being to generous?"
It's just another day in the life of one of wrestling's biggest stars.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- The Rock Reveals He And John Cena Nearly Fought Backstage [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Maria Sharapova And Grigor Dimitrov Break Up News
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date