SHOCKING VIDEOS: Would You Still Buy Fur from China After Watching This?
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 26, 2013 2:00 PM EST
Animal rights group People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) has tapped the services of Chinese actress Olivia Mann to protest the brutal and inhuman way of killing animals in China for their fur.
The video showed dogs, rabbits and other domestic animals with thick furs kept inside small cages and culled for their skin to be made into fur coats, wallets, bags and other luxury items.
In some cases, the animals were still alive, but are tied and hang on their feet, and then the skin is literally stripped from the animal.
The video was produced by advertising agency Ogilvy & Mather, timed to coincide with Fashion Week in which some of the creations presented on the catwalk include fur clothing or accessories.
PETA Senior Vice President Dan Mathews said the video was made to go around China's laws which prohibit protests. In other countries, PETA organisers stage controversial protests by tapping celebrities in different stages of undress to air their sentiment against the killing of animals for its meat, skin or other body parts.
However, in China, the group has to use different strategies such as asking Chinese celebrities to wear PETA anti-fur T-shirts.
PETA is also campaigning against the use of animals in China to test beauty products.
PETA used undercover investigators who spent weeks in China to capture the shocking footage which includes gruesome images and whines of animals while writhing in pain.
One scene showed a fur farm worker placing a wire noose over a dog's head, restraining the animal and stunning its genital with a metal rod. Another one showed raccoon dogs being bludgeoned, rabbits being decapitated and animals thrown inside cages.
Australia had protested similar brutal methods of cattle and sheep exported overseas for their meat and skin, including the inhumane way that Pakistan culled sheep suspected to be diseased and the way cows are culled in Indonesian slaughterhouses.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFO Sighting in Australia: A Mysterious 'Flying' Object With Changing Colors Observed[Watch Video]
- Volcano Eruption In Iceland: Lava Erupts More Than 50 Meters High, Prompts Aviation Alert [Video]
- Stargazing: Saturn, Moon and Mars Meet Up Last August 31
- Bad Memories Can be Changed into Good Ones, Say Scientists
- Walking Fish Reveal How Our Ancestors Evolved Onto Land (Watch Video)
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans