Russians Recover, Sell Meteorite Fragment from Urals, Largest is 1.8 Kg
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 26, 2013 1:23 PM EST
Residents of the Urals region in Russia who were hit by the meteor shower have been converting the disaster into cash by collecting fragments of the meteorite and selling them.
So far, they have recovered more than 100 fragments, the largest of which weighs 1.8 kilogramme.
Besides the physical fragments, which are sold online, the residents also are offering T-shirts (probably with I Survived the Meteorite Crash designs), guided tours and even cookies that would serve as a memorabilia of the meteorite hit.
Local ski enthusiast found the largest fragment on Monday. Viktor Grokhovsky of the Urals University said the fragment needs to be weighed first and then conserved to prevent acidification.
Reports said the fragment found by Masha Plnkova on Monday evening weighs 1.8 kilogrammes.
Mr Grokhovsky expects more fragments to be found, including the possible largest chunk believed to lie at the bottom of Lake Chebarkul and measuring up to 60 centimetres in diameter. The size is based on a 20-foot-wide hole in the ice covering the lake.
Teams are in the lake area to search for more fragments.
However, there is no assurance that the fragments being sold online really came from the meteor shower. Among the sales pitch that the finders use is that the fragments would bring good luck or help treat depression. Price ranges from a few dollars to $16,000.
Candy makers are also cashing in on the meteor shower by applying to license brand names such as Mystery Meteorite, Urals Meteorite and Chebarkul Meteorite for their candies and cookies.
The meteorite hit on Feb 15 had injured about 1,500 residents, but appears to be a blessing in disguise in the celestial event by converting the fragments and other similar items into cash.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- HIV Cure: First Effective Cure to Have Long-Term Remission; 3 Factors to Check on Inactive Virus
- Coming Soon: AntiViral Gel in Condoms to Kill HIV Virus
- Melbourne Man Gives Up Sex For a Year; Donates £50,000 in Charity
- FDA Prioritises Review of ‘Abuse-Deterrent’ Painkiller
- Rapid Rise in Flu; Hospitals in New Zealand Struggle
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Apple Logo on iPhone 6 Might Double as Notification LED; Roughly 80M iPhone 6 Units Ordered Targeting Release Date—Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June