Nokia Lumia 720 vs. Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini: Android Budget Phone Meets its Match in a Solid-Built Windows Device
By Erik Pineda | February 26, 2013 12:42 PM EST
Samsung marketed the Galaxy S3 Mini as the scaled-down but not necessarily the cheaper version of the bigger Galaxy S3 though experts thought otherwise. The Mini was generally devoid of quality and not exactly affordable.
The same cannot be said of the new Nokia Lumia 720, which BGR News described as having "high-quality builds and ... designed stylishly," plus the prospect of getting it cheap.
Pitting the two handsets, we should be able to appreciate which delivers the best value for every dollar.
The 720 weighs in at 128 grams, a bit heavier than the S3 Mini's 112 grams but the added heft assured users of a solid built that for a budget phone is a complete surprise.
Nokia made sure that the Lumia signature remains imprinted with the less pricey 720. For not paying that much, buyers will get to hold the 720's "smooth contours and the same compact unibody design that made the flagship Lumia 920 such a solid device," BGR said.
Like its better version, the S3, the Mini body is mostly made of plastic, a Samsung mainstay even on high-end handsets and an approach that has been routinely pummelled by experts.
The S3 Mini looks fragile while the Lumia 720 is almost a brick but sleek at the same time. Should a fall occurs, we know better which handset enjoys a higher survival rate.
Inside the guts, the two device pretty much level up. Both flex dual-core processors that hum away to top speed of 1GHz with sufficient 1GB of RAM provisions.
The screen sizes are also nearly identical with the 720 enjoying bit of an edge at 4.3-inch to the S3 Mini's 4.0-inch. Resolution is shared at 480 x 800 pixels.
On the cam department, Nokia ported a 6.7MP rear shooter on the Lumia 720, which again is a bit superior when compared to the S3 Mini's 5MP snapper. If the former flashes some specks of Nokia's PureView technology, hands down it will smother the Samsung cam rendition.
Windows, which is the backbone for Nokia's apps muscle, remains a laggard against the vaunted Google Play of Android.
Owners of the 720 will have to maximise whatever they can get from the still stabilising collection of Windows-based apps while so much is available for S3 Mini users - amusement, productivity, tools, you name it and Android developers are able to fully comply.
This is one concern that is a sore point for Nokia and only time (or Microsoft) can tell how soon it will be addressed.
Nokia is selling the Lumia 720 in five colour variants - red, white, cyan, black and yellow - for $US329 flat, meaning no taxes or subsidies are yet factored in. The likelihood is telcos would pick up the mid-range handset for distribution, creating the prospect of consumers getting it for as low as $100 or even free.
The Galaxy S3 Mini debuted in late 2013 but its last published price remains hovering between $300 and $400, at least in select countries in Asia-Pacific region.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- California Fruits Recalled in USA and Canada for Possible Listeria Contamination
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Air Carrier Losing $1.6 Million/Day; Crisis Management Experts Suggest Hiring Risk Expert as CEO
- The IBM and Apple Merger: Will it Spell Trouble to Rival Companies
- CBA, NAB, Westpac in Fixed Rate War Offering Below 5% Interest
- KFC & McDonald’s Accused of Serving ‘Expired’ Meat to Customers
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales