For Sale: Nobel Prize for Medicine; Starting Bid: $243,000
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 26, 2013 12:19 PM EST
Souvenir hunters would probably find the memorabilia that the family of scientist Francis Crick is putting up on sale at Heritage Auction a good bargain despite the opening bid set at $243,000.
After all, Mr Crick was the Nobel Prize winner in 1962 for his discovery of the structure of the DNA.
The prize is a 23-carat gold valued at $500,000.
Besides the award, the family of Mr Crick is selling his lab coats, books and other memorabilia to help fund research at the new Francis Crick Institute schedule to be completed in London by 2015.
In explaining the auction, the family pointed out that Mr Crick was a modest man who would rather have a big chalkboard and a portrait of Charles Darwin in his office when he was still alive rather than have a cabinet full of awards.
The prize has been with the family for the past 50 years and they opted to auction it with the hope that a museum or institute that would bid for it would place the prize and other memorabilia on public display for it to inspire the next generation of scientists, said Mr Crick's granddaughter, Kindra Crick.
It would be the first Nobel prize to be auctioned in more than 70 years, Heritage Auctions said on Monday.
Mr Crick teamed up with American zoologist and geneticist James Watson in proposing the double-helical structure for DNA and the replication scheme in 1953, and the eventually suggested a general theory on the structure of small viruses.
For their role in solving the structure of the DNA-helix, the molecule with genetic information from one generation to the other, Messrs. Crick and Watson shared the Nobel Prize in Physiology in 1962 with Maurice Wilkins.
The Nobel Prize in Physiology for 2012 was awarded to Sir John B. Gurdon and Shinya Yamanaka for their discovery that mature cells can be reprogrammed to become pluripotent.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- HIV Cure: First Effective Cure to Have Long-Term Remission; 3 Factors to Check on Inactive Virus
- Coming Soon: AntiViral Gel in Condoms to Kill HIV Virus
- Melbourne Man Gives Up Sex For a Year; Donates £50,000 in Charity
- FDA Prioritises Review of ‘Abuse-Deterrent’ Painkiller
- Tree of 40 Fruit: A Tree That Produces 40 Fruits in New York
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June