Exclusive - Carlyle prepares to sell Arinc, hires banks -sources
By Soyoung Kim | February 26, 2013 10:28 AM EST
Private equity firm Carlyle Group LP
Arinc, which the buyout firm bought from six U.S. airlines in 2007 for an undisclosed sum, is expected to draw interest mostly from larger aerospace industry rivals and may fetch $1.2 billion to $1.5 billion in a sale, the three people said.
The latest attempt to find a buyer would come more than two years after Carlyle's previous efforts to sell Arinc failed over a price gap, as well as lack of interest by potential buyers in pursuing the entire company.
Carlyle, however, sold Arinc's government consulting services division to Booz Allen Hamilton Holding Corp
Arinc has roughly $120 million to $125 million in earnings before interest, tax, depreciation and amortization (EBITDA) and could be sold for more than 10 times EBITDA, the people said.
The auction is expected to be launched later this spring, they added.
The people asked not to be named because the auction is not public. Carlyle did not have immediate comment, while JPMorgan and Evercore declined to comment.
The Annapolis, Maryland-based Arinc, founded in 1929, designs systems that help airline pilots communicate with the ground.
Carlyle tried to sell Arinc in 2010 but scrapped the auction after strategic buyers expressed little interest in purchasing the company as a whole, partly due to concerns that Arinc's government consulting services could create organizational conflicts of interest, sources told Reuters at that time.
Many defense companies had long offered services that include advising government agencies on programs they end up bidding for, creating a conflict of interest. That prompted the U.S. Congress to pass a law that requires the Department of Defense to tighten rules on potential conflicts at such companies.
With the sale of that division to Booz Allen last year, Arinc would be a much more attractive takeover target for aerospace and defense companies, the people familiar with the matter said.
(Reporting by Soyoung Kim in New York; Editing by Leslie Adler and Bob Burgdorfer)
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Canada Concerned About Russia’s Military Expansion in Arctic
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Nokia X2 vs. Nokia Lumia 530 - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?