Precious Metals Rebound on Italian Election Fears
By Eric McWhinnie | February 26, 2013 8:30 AM EST
On Monday, gold (NYSEARCA:GLD) futures for April delivery, the most active contract, gained $13.80 to settle at $1,586.60 per ounce, while silver (NYSEARCA:SLV) futures for March jumped 53 cents to close at $28.99.
Both precious metals rallied, despite hedge funds cutting bullish bets on gold by the most in about five years. According to U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission data, money managers and other large speculators decreased net-long positions in gold contracts and options by 40 percent.
The Italian election appears to be providing support for gold and silver, as exit polls raised fears that the country may not have a stable government. Projections show former Italian Premier Silvio Berlusconi’s center-right party ahead in the Senate, which could threaten austerity measures and bring the euro zone financial crisis back into focus. Earlier readings had Pier Luigi Bersani’s center-left party leading the field.
Christopher Vecchio, currency analyst at DailyFX, explains, “Unlike in the United States or in other European countries, the Italian Senate and the lower house share power; so if Bersani can’t generate a coalition in the Senate, Italy essentially is ungovernable.”
By the end of the day, the SPDR Gold Trust (NYSEARCA:GLD) and iShares Silver Trust (NYSEARCA:SLV) both gained nearly 1 percent. Gold miners (NYSEARCA:GDX) such as Barrick Gold (NYSE:ABX) and Yamana Gold (NYSE:AUY) jumped 1.64 percent and 2.41 percent, respectively. Meanwhile, silver names such as Pan American Silver (NASDAQ:PAAS) and Endeavour Silver (NYSE:EXK) surged 3.98 percent and 5.84 percent, respectively.
If you would like to receive professional analysis on miners and other precious metal investments, we invite you to try our premium service free for 14 days.
Disclosure: Long EXK, AG, HL, PHYS
Join the Conversation
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast