Zynga To Close Baltimore Office, Consolidate Texas And New York Studios
By Yannick LeJacq | February 26, 2013 8:17 AM EST
Zynga (NASDAQ:ZNGA) is closing down and “consolidating” more of its regional studios as part of the game developer’s mission to reach a financial position of “long term profitability,” the company announced on Monday.
The latest round of restructuring will close an office in Baltimore and consolidate the struggling social game developer’s headquarters in New York and Texas. The Texas offices based in McKinney and downtown Austin offices will be closed, but COO David Ko said in a statement that an unspecified number of employees will be relocated to Zynga’s two remaining offices in the state. New York City offices will be similarly restructured around Zynga’s New York-based mobile studio.
In his statement on the company’s blog, Ko described the restructuring as “an effort to leverage resources as we focus on creating franchises and driving profitability.”
“As all of you know, we’ve talked a lot about one of our key strategies for 2013 is driving long term profitability,” Ko wrote. “With that mindset, we are finding ways to improve our business that position us better for our future success.”
Ko said that Zynga was “relocate everyone in the Baltimore office who requested a transfer, and the overall impact of the consolidations on our team is minimal.”
Ko left the official number of layoffs vague in his statement on the company’s page, but he later told VentureBeat that “these steps will affect approximately 1 percent of our workforce and enable us to focus our resources on the most significant growth opportunities,” an estimate that AllThingsD rounded to about 30 current Zynga employees.
This latest round of layoffs and closures comes shortly after Zynga beat dismal analyst expectations for the company’s fourth quarter earnings. Despite eking out a profit on better-than-expected revenue, David Ko said during a post-earnings report call with investors that Zynga was planning to slim down its operations in order to cut costs and focus on a small number of its most lucrative game properties. Late last year during a high-profile announcement from Apple (NASDAQ:AAPL), the company announced a series of dramatic layoffs and studio closings to correspond with cuts in its full-year financial outlook.
More recently, however, the studio has seen a gradual recovery. Just last week, the company’s stock surged on news that Nevada had signed a bill into law permitting online gambling in the state, capping several months of lobbying and corporate restructuring on Zynga’s part to rebuild itself as a real-money gaming outlet.
“We still have a lot of work to do,” Ko concluded in his statement Monday, “but I’m confident that we’re on the right path to deliver on the potential of Zynga.”
Zynga shares jumped once again during Monday trading on news of the company’s latest round of consolidations, rising more than ten percent to $3.69 per share before falling back slightly to close at $3.44.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Video of Kids Reaction to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Goes Viral [Watch YouTube Clip]
- Global Markets Overview – July 24, 2014
- Radio Australia Cuts to Affect Isolated Vanuatu Residents Who Rely on It for Weather Bulletins
- Young and the Restless Casting News, August Spoilers: Two Characters Return to Y&R with Resolution to ‘Maddening Mystery’; Adam Newman Return Update
- Taylor Swift's Advice on Love: 'I think unrequited love is just as valid as any other kind'
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales