All Nippon Airways Cancels 1,700 Dreamliner Flights After FAA Grounds Planes
By Carey Vanderborg | February 26, 2013 8:18 AM EST
Boeing's 787 Dreamliner is once again hitting turbulence as Japan’s All Nippon Airways said Monday it will cancel all flights on the widebody jet.
The cancellation comes after international regulators grounded all Dreamliners in January so that safety checks could be carried out on their lithium-ion batteries after two fires broke out.
ANA is canceling more than 1,700 flights in April and May, a period that includes Japan's Golden Week holiday. March flights were canceled already.
The Tokyo-based airline has 17 Boeing (NYSE: BA) Dreamliners – more than any other airline – and all of them have been grounded since Jan. 16 because of the risk of battery fires.
Boeing gave the Federal Aviation Administration on Friday its plan to fix the battery problems, which reportedly involves a significant redesign of the battery pack with new ceramic insulation around each of the battery's eight cells.
According to a Seattle Times report, the fix also involves using a system of venting tubes that in case of an incident would channel any flammable vapors or liquids directly out of the plane, and continuous monitoring of the temperature and voltage of individual cells within the battery.
While Boeing hopes the fix could allow Dreamliners to be back flying by mid-April, industry analysts suggest it could take longer, as getting approval for the redesigned batteries could take several months.
"Recertification suggests time,'' Carter Leake, an aerospace analyst at BB&T Capital Markets, told BBC News.
After spending an initial $32 billion on the Dreamliner project, Boeing reportedly continues to shell out compensation to airlines that have been forced to cancel flights.
Last week, Australian carrier Qantas said it had received 125 million Australian dollars (US$129m; £85m) compensation from the Boeing over the grounded 787s.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bachelor Australia': Sam Calls Blake 'A Liar'
- 'CSI Crime Scene Investigation' Season 15 Recap: Episode 4 'The Book of Shadows' Aired On Oct. 19, 2014, The 'CSI Las Vegas' Team Investigates A Dangerous Science Experiment [WATCH VIDEOS]
- Queens Park Rangers News: Adel Taarabt Hits Back At Harry Redknapp Over Overweight Claim
- Manchester United: Ed Woodward Caught On Cam Saying 'F****** Waste Of Money' Following Red Devils Draw
- New Android 5.0 Lollipop Improvements Coming with Google Fixing Multiple Accounts and Material Design
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu