Rolex and Apple Named Superbrands of 2013
By Toyin Owoseje | February 26, 2013 5:00 AM EST
Swiss watchmaker Rolex has maintained its crown as the UK's top superbrand.
The luxury goods firm was voted the UK's No 1 consumer brand on the annual list for the second year running, beating Apple and Microsoft, who made second and third place respectively.
Although Apple missed out on the top prize, the manufacturer dethroned car giant Rolls-Royce to be named the No 1 business brand in Britain.
The vote, cast by more than 2,900 British adults, included household names such as Kellogg's (ninth) and Nescafe (20th) and Facebook(14th).
"As consumers remain unsettled and fearful over what feels like endless economic doom and gloom, malpractice in key institutions and a weakening position for Britain in a changing world," said Stephen Cheliotis, chairman of the Superbrands Expert Council.
"It is perhaps no surprise that we are turning to reassuringly familiar brands that we have known throughout our lives - often much-loved British establishments that we still trust, despite recent problems for some.
"In addition, voters recognise newer technology brands that make our lives simpler, happier and better-connected in these difficult times."
Troubled British Airways finished fourth in the top 20 Consumer Superbrands list, drinks giant Coca-Cola ranked fifth, Google came in sixth and Hilton seventh.
Marks & Spencer was the only retailer to achieve top 20 superbrand status after coming 17th place.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- Kate Middleton Expecting A Baby Boy For The Second Time Around – Reports [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Video Showing Mentally Disabled African American Shot 46 Times By Eight Police Officers For Just Holding A Penknife
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Forced To Return To Royal Engagements, Feuding With The Queen Over Royal Duties---Report
- Google Loses Lawsuit Against Canadian Woman Over Breast Exposure
- Robbery Attempt in Sydney Bank, Armed Robbers on The Loose
- Father Spots A Bald Patch On The Lawn Outside His Girls' Bedroom And Gets Shocked At The Reason
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge To Be Available Through T-Mobile In The US
- Five Extreme Drop Tests On BlackBerry Passport Reveals Its Endurance [Watch Video]
- Updated iOS 8 Pangu Untethered Jailbreak Now Fully Works with Cydia: Key Fixes & Mods to Expect
- Ex-Ohio Trooper Pleads Guilty To Issuing Sex as Penalty To Women Motorists