Rolex and Apple Named Superbrands of 2013
By Toyin Owoseje | February 26, 2013 5:00 AM EST
Swiss watchmaker Rolex has maintained its crown as the UK's top superbrand.
The luxury goods firm was voted the UK's No 1 consumer brand on the annual list for the second year running, beating Apple and Microsoft, who made second and third place respectively.
Although Apple missed out on the top prize, the manufacturer dethroned car giant Rolls-Royce to be named the No 1 business brand in Britain.
The vote, cast by more than 2,900 British adults, included household names such as Kellogg's (ninth) and Nescafe (20th) and Facebook(14th).
"As consumers remain unsettled and fearful over what feels like endless economic doom and gloom, malpractice in key institutions and a weakening position for Britain in a changing world," said Stephen Cheliotis, chairman of the Superbrands Expert Council.
"It is perhaps no surprise that we are turning to reassuringly familiar brands that we have known throughout our lives - often much-loved British establishments that we still trust, despite recent problems for some.
"In addition, voters recognise newer technology brands that make our lives simpler, happier and better-connected in these difficult times."
Troubled British Airways finished fourth in the top 20 Consumer Superbrands list, drinks giant Coca-Cola ranked fifth, Google came in sixth and Hilton seventh.
Marks & Spencer was the only retailer to achieve top 20 superbrand status after coming 17th place.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Virus Might Reach Australia in Months; Health Dept Says Australia Prepared For Outbreak
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Robots May Be Used to Fight Ebola in West Africa; Australian PM Admits US, UK Asked For Medical Teams
- Decades-Long Mystery of Oklahoma Lake Solved, Missing Six Bodies Identified
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions