Rolex and Apple Named Superbrands of 2013
By Toyin Owoseje | February 26, 2013 5:00 AM EST
Swiss watchmaker Rolex has maintained its crown as the UK's top superbrand.
The luxury goods firm was voted the UK's No 1 consumer brand on the annual list for the second year running, beating Apple and Microsoft, who made second and third place respectively.
Although Apple missed out on the top prize, the manufacturer dethroned car giant Rolls-Royce to be named the No 1 business brand in Britain.
The vote, cast by more than 2,900 British adults, included household names such as Kellogg's (ninth) and Nescafe (20th) and Facebook(14th).
"As consumers remain unsettled and fearful over what feels like endless economic doom and gloom, malpractice in key institutions and a weakening position for Britain in a changing world," said Stephen Cheliotis, chairman of the Superbrands Expert Council.
"It is perhaps no surprise that we are turning to reassuringly familiar brands that we have known throughout our lives - often much-loved British establishments that we still trust, despite recent problems for some.
"In addition, voters recognise newer technology brands that make our lives simpler, happier and better-connected in these difficult times."
Troubled British Airways finished fourth in the top 20 Consumer Superbrands list, drinks giant Coca-Cola ranked fifth, Google came in sixth and Hilton seventh.
Marks & Spencer was the only retailer to achieve top 20 superbrand status after coming 17th place.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Another Aviation Disaster: Taiwan Plane Crashes, Passengers Aboard Feared Dead [PHOTO]
- MH370 Search Efforts Not Affected by MH17 Recovery; Australia Still Committed to Solving Mystery
- 'Dronies' to Become Latest Trend as Tourism New Zealand Buys Drone to Record Tourists' Videos
- Former Destiny’s Child Star Farrah Franklin Arrested
- Asylum Seeker Women in Australia-Run Christmas Island Attempt Suicide in Desperation
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon