Rolex and Apple Named Superbrands of 2013
By Toyin Owoseje | February 26, 2013 5:00 AM EST
Swiss watchmaker Rolex has maintained its crown as the UK's top superbrand.
The luxury goods firm was voted the UK's No 1 consumer brand on the annual list for the second year running, beating Apple and Microsoft, who made second and third place respectively.
Although Apple missed out on the top prize, the manufacturer dethroned car giant Rolls-Royce to be named the No 1 business brand in Britain.
The vote, cast by more than 2,900 British adults, included household names such as Kellogg's (ninth) and Nescafe (20th) and Facebook(14th).
"As consumers remain unsettled and fearful over what feels like endless economic doom and gloom, malpractice in key institutions and a weakening position for Britain in a changing world," said Stephen Cheliotis, chairman of the Superbrands Expert Council.
"It is perhaps no surprise that we are turning to reassuringly familiar brands that we have known throughout our lives - often much-loved British establishments that we still trust, despite recent problems for some.
"In addition, voters recognise newer technology brands that make our lives simpler, happier and better-connected in these difficult times."
Troubled British Airways finished fourth in the top 20 Consumer Superbrands list, drinks giant Coca-Cola ranked fifth, Google came in sixth and Hilton seventh.
Marks & Spencer was the only retailer to achieve top 20 superbrand status after coming 17th place.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
Join the Conversation
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Fresh Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Images Leaked: 4.8-Inch Metallic Body Could Give Competition to 4.7-Inch iPhone 6
- Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 Android 5.0 L Material Design Coming with More Interface Changes
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- OnePlus One Android 4.4.4 KitKat and Android L Update Guide